The New Community Plan (NCP) program began with a land use survey of the Plan Area. This was followed by a series of small group meetings held throughout the West Adams - Baldwin Hills - Leimert area to identify community concerns.
Click here to review a summary of the Issues & Opportunities identified by the community during our Public Outreach phase. We then took this public input to create a concept of the NCP. This conceptual plan was presented during a series of small community workshops held throughout the Plan Area culminating in one community-wide public workshop.
Following the public workshop, staff then concentrated on the Technical Phase of the NCP process which included creating a draft plan and analyzing its impacts through a draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR). The Draft EIR and Draft Plan were first made available for public review on September 13, 2012.
An Open House and Public Hearing regarding the Proposed Plan was held January 15, 2013. The South Los Angeles Area Planning Commission reviewed the Proposed Plan on April 2, 2013, and the City Planning Commission (CPC) reviewed and approved the Proposed Plan April 11, 2013. The CPC reviewed and approved modifications to the Proposed Plan on February 11, 2016.
The City Attorney is currently reviewing the Final EIR and CPC Recommended Plan. Both are to be transmitted to the Planning and Land Use Management Committee (PLUM) of the the City Council for consideration in Spring of 2016. Continue to monitor the Meetings/ Outreach page for updates regarding future meetings regarding the New Community Plan.
Major steps in NCP Process:
· Phase I Outreach (2006-2007)
- Information Gathering: Meet with Neighborhood Councils, community organizations & residents and survey existing land uses.
· Phase II Outreach (2007-2008)
- Review summary of phase I input with Community and share potential implementation alternatives.
· Phase III Outreach (2008-2010)
- Workshops: Present preliminary plan concepts and gather feedback.
Click here to see Preliminary Draft Displays from the community-wide workshop.
· Technical Phase (2010-2012)
- Prepare draft plan, land use change map, overlays & Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR).
· Phase IV Outreach (2013)
- Open House & Public Hearing - 1/15/13: Display draft Plan and Draft EIR (DEIR) and receive comments/testimony from the community.
· Adoption Phase (2013-in process)
- Present draft Plan and EIR to:
1) South Los Angeles Area Planning Commission (APC)-4/2/13
2) City Planning Commission (CPC)-4/11/13, 2/11/6
3) Planning & Land Use Management Committee (PLUM) - June 2016
4) City Council