The New Community Plan (NCP) program began with a land use survey of the Plan Area. This was followed by a series of small group meetings held throughout the West Adams, Baldwin Hills, Leimert and Hyde Park areas to identify community concerns.
Click here to review a summary of the Issues & Opportunities identified by the community during our Public Outreach phase. We then took this public input to create a concept of the NCP. This conceptual plan was presented during a series of small community workshops held throughout the Plan Area culminating in one community-wide public workshop.
Following the public workshop, staff then concentrated on the Technical Phase of the NCP process which included creating a draft plan and analyzing its impacts through a draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR). The Draft EIR and Draft Plan were first made available for public review on September 13, 2012.
An Open House and Public Hearing regarding the Proposed Plan was held January 15, 2013. The South Los Angeles Area Planning Commission reviewed the Proposed Plan on April 2, 2013, and the City Planning Commission (CPC) reviewed and approved the Proposed Plan April 11, 2013. The CPC reviewed and approved modifications to the Proposed Plan on February 11, 2016 and June 23, 2016.
The Final EIR and CPC Recommended Plan were transmitted to the Mayor and City Council Planning and Land Use Management Committee (PLUM) for consideration on May 25, 2016. The PLUM Committee reviewed the item on June 7, 2016, requested further modifications and approved the item on June 28, 2016 with instruction to the City Attorney to prepare the final ordinances. The City Council adopted the Community Plan on June 29, 2016.
The City Council adopted the final ordinances on March 7, 2017 and both the Community Plan and its implementing ordinances become effective April 19, 2017.
Major steps in NCP Process:
· Phase I Outreach (2006-2007)
- Information Gathering: Meet with Neighborhood Councils, community organizations & residents and survey existing land uses.
· Phase II Outreach (2007-2008)
- Review summary of phase I input with Community and share potential implementation alternatives.
· Phase III Outreach (2008-2010)
- Workshops: Present preliminary plan concepts and gather feedback.
Click here to see Preliminary Draft Displays from the community-wide workshop.
· Technical Phase (2010-2012)
- Prepare draft plan, land use change map, overlays & Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR).
· Phase IV Outreach (2013)
- Open House & Public Hearing - 1/15/13: Display draft Plan and Draft EIR (DEIR) and receive comments/testimony from the community.
· Adoption Phase (2013-in process)
- Present Plan and EIR to:
1) South Los Angeles Area Planning Commission (APC)-4/2/13
2) City Planning Commission (CPC)-4/11/13, 2/11/6, 6/23/16
3) Planning & Land Use Management Committee (PLUM) - 6/7/16, 6/28/16, 2/28/17
4) City Council - ADOPTED - 6/29/16, (Final Ordinances) 3/7/17
5) Mayor - 3/8/17