The B'nai B'rith Youth Organization is composed of AZA and BBG. In 1923, 15 boys got together to form the first AZA chapter. The first advisor to this chapter was Nathan Mnookin.This chapter was in Omaha, Nebraska and was called Mother Chapter #1. On May 3rd, 1924, AZA was recognized as a national organization. This acomplishment was largely due to the work of Sam Beber, who is now credited as being the founder of AZA.
The first convention of the Aleph Zadik Aleph was held on July 4-6, 1924, in Omaha, Nebraska. This convention saw four chapters being represented, and elected the first Grand Aleph Godol, Charles Shane. In 1925, a man by the name of Henry Monskty got B'nai B'rith to sponsor the AZA.
The first permanent Chapter of what is now B'nai B'rith Girls was organized in December, 1927 in San Francisco by Rose Mauser. Sponsered by what is now San Francisco B'nai B'rith Women's Chapter #1, Mattie Olcovich and Essie Solomon served as the first Advisors. It was not until eighteen years later that a national council of B'nai B'rith Women was created and could sponsor BBG on the national level. Amoung the devoted BBW volunteers was Mrs.Anita Perlman. Anita Perlman was appointed as chairman of B'nai B'rith Girls.
In the spring of 1941, the Women's Supreme Council adopted the name "B'nai B'rith Girls" and an upper agelimit of 21 for all girls' groups under B'nai B'rith sponsorship. The first National Convention of the newly organized B'nai B'rith Girls took place in Chicago, February 23-25, 1945. The meeting was called to order by Anita Perlman. Total membership was about 7,000 girls.
The AZA is the little brother organization of BBG. Many of the functions of BBG are combined with those of AZA. These two organizations are always ready to assist each other in any way possible.
Today, the B'nai B'rith Youth Organization has chapters all over the United States, Canada, South America, and Israel. The Order is strong and growing.