Phone: +61 2 9514 3782
Address: Room 11.07.307, Level 7, Building 11 (the Broadway building), PO Box 123, Broadway NSW 2007, AUSTRALIA
I'm a Research Program Leader and a Lecturer of Data Science at the Advanced Analytics Institute, Faculty of Engineering and IT, in the University of Technology Sydney.
Before joining UTS, I was a Data Mining Research Fellow at the University of Melbourne working with Prof Rao Kotagiri, Prof James Bailey, and Prof Chris Leckie, and then an Industry-focused Machine Learning Researcher and Project Manager at NICTA (now Data61). I was educated at the University of Sydney where I obtained my PhD degree in Prof Sanjay Chawla's research group.
I'm intensively engaged in Business and Industry R&D practices at UTS, and I'm interested in industry-driven data science research that makes real-world impact.
In theoretical terms, I have been publishing papers in research areas of: graph mining, causal inference, matrix and tensor factorization, feature extraction, game theory, data imbalance learning, spatio-temporal data mining, and anomaly/outlier detection.
Publications (In a nutshell, I have published over 30 top tier A/A* ranking papers, and I'm the first author for 11 of them. Besides, my publications have won 3 best paper awards.)
Here is my Google Scholar page
- Quan Do and Wei Liu: ASTEN: an Accurate and Scalable Approach to Coupled Tensor Factorisation. In Proceedings of the 2016 International Joint Conference in Neural Networks (IJCNN 2016).
- Shoujin Wang, Wei Liu, and Paul Kennedy: Training Deep Networks on Imbalanced Data Sets. In Proceedings of the 2016 International Joint Conference in Neural Networks (IJCNN 2016).
- Hoang Nguyen, Wei Liu, Paul Rivera, and Fang Chen: TrafficWatch: Real-time Traffic Incident Detection and Monitoring Using Social Media. In Proceedings of the 20th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD 2016).
- Hoang Nguyen, Wei Liu, and Fang Chen: Discovering Congestion Propagation Patterns in Spatio-Temporal Traffic Data. In IEEE Transactions on Big Data (Invited).
- Ling Luo, Wei Liu, Irena Koprinska, and Fang Chen: Discovering Causal Structures from Time Series Data via Enhanced Granger Causality. In Proceedings of the 28th Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2015 (AI 2015).
- Hoang Nguyen, Wei Liu, and Fang Chen: Discovering Congestion Propagation Patterns in Spatio-Temporal Traffic Data. In Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Urban Computing (UrbComp 2015) in conjunction with the 21st ACM SIGKDD (KDD 2015) conference.
- Jingyu Shao, Junfu Yin, Wei Liu, and Longbing Cao: Mining Actionable Combined Patterns Satisfying both Utility and Frequency Criteria. In Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (IEEE DSAA 2015).
- Qianqian Chen, Liang Hu, Jia Xu, Wei Liu, and Longbing Cao: Document Similarity Analysis via Involving both Explicit and Implicit Sematic Relatedness. In Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (IEEE DSAA 2015).
- Ling Luo, Wei Liu, Irena Koprinska, and Fang Chen: Discrimination-Aware Association Rule Mining for Unbiased Data Analytics. In Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Big Data Analytics and Knowledge Discovery (DaWaK 2015).
- Ling Luo, Irena Koprinska and Wei Liu: Discrimination-Aware Classifiers for Student Performance Prediction. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Educational Data Mining (EDM 2015).
- Khoa Nguyen, Wei Liu, Fang Chen, Peter Runcie, et al.: Using Tensor Analysis for Damage Identification in Civil Structures. In proceedings of the 19th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD 2015). Accepted as a Long Presentation -- acceptance rate 7%.
- Xinxin Jiang, Wei Liu, Longbing Cao, Guodong Long: Coupled Collaborative Filtering for Context-aware Recommendation. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Ninth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2015).
- Jingyu Shao, Junfu Yin, Wei Liu, Longbing Cao: Actionable Combined High Utility Itemset Mining. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Ninth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2015).
- Fei Wang, Wei Liu, Sanjay Chawla: On Sparse Feature Attacks in Adversarial Learning. In proceedings of the 2014 IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2014). (Acceptance rate: 19%)
- Wei Liu, Dong Lee, and Rao Kotagiri: Significantly Improving General Supervised Learners by Using Local Information. In proceedings of the 23rd ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2014). (Acceptance rate: 17%)
- Victor Chu, Wei Liu, Raymond Wong, Fang Chen, and Charles Perng: Traffic Analysis as a Service via a Unified Model. In proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Conference on Services Computing (IEEE SCC 2014).
- Victor Chu, Wei Liu, Raymond Wong, and Fang Chen: Causal Structure Discovery for Spatio-temporal Data. In proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (DASFAA 2014).
- Jeffrey Chan, Wei Liu, James Bailey, Christopher Leckie, and Rao Kotagiri: Structure-aware Distance Measures for Comparing Clusterings in Graphs. In proceedings of the 18th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD 2014).
- Wei Liu, James Bailey, Christopher Leckie, Fang Chen, and Rao Kotagiri: A Bayesian Classifier for Learning from Tensorial Data. In proceedings of the 2013 European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECML PKDD 2013).
- Linsey Pang, Sanjay Chawla, Wei Liu and Yu Zheng: On Detection of Emerging Anomalous Traffic Patterns Using GPS Data. Data & Knowledge Engineering journal, vol. 87, pages 357-373, 2013.
- Linsey Xiaolin Pang, Sanjay Chawla, Wei Liu and Yu Zheng: On Mining Emerging Patterns on Traffic Networks. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Advanced Data Mining and Applications (ADMA 2011). This paper won the best paper award.
I have led a number of significant research projects in partnership with government agencies and industrial organisations, spanning Internet Security, Insurance, Finance, Transportation, Infrastructure, Policy and Regulation sectors. I developed cutting-edge data mining methods and software tools for the transport industry, which accurately identify causes of road incidents from dynamic traffic networks. I also designed advanced award-winning predictive analysis models for the problems of rare event prediction, fraud/intrusion detection, emerging trends detection, and spam filtering with time-evolving data distributions, which are validated and applied in different industrial organisations. Details of some of my research projects are in the below:
- "Advanced Data Analytics Platforms", industry partner: National ICT Australia; March 2016 – December 2018.
- "Data Analytics Models for Stock Market Surveillance", industry partner: NASDAQ OMX; March 2016 - December 2018.
- "Analytics Model to Support Strategic Planning in a Regulatory Environment", industry partner: NSW Department of Fair Trading; April - July 2015.
- "Transport Data Science and Advanced Analytics", industry partner: National ICT Australia; July 2015 – June 2018.
- “Traffic Watch for Transport Control Service”, industry partner: Transport Management Centre; May 2013 – June 2014.
- “Congestion Propagation and Hotspot Detection in Sydney CBD”, industry partner: NSW RMS; Aug – Dec 2013.
- “Data Fusion Technologies for Comprehensive Transport Data Analysis in Melbourne”, industry partner: VicRoads; Jun – Sep 2013.
- “Time of Arrival Estimations using HD Vehicle Trajectories”, industry partner: Tomtom. Jan 2013 – March 2013.
- “Early Detection of Road Traffic Incidents using Social Media”, industry partner: the Transport Management Centre; Oct – Dec 2012.
- “Causal Inference for Sequential Traffic Congestion", industry partner: Microsoft Research Asia; Nov 2010 – Mar 2011.
- “Abnormal Claim Detection from Worker’s Compensations”, industry partner: CGU Insurance; Mar 2010 – Jun 2011.
- “Data Integration for Cross-Market Capital Trading Systems”, industry partner: the SMARST Group (now purchased by Nasdaq), Jun 2008 – Dec 2009.
- Quan Do, PhD student, Tensor-based data fusion analysis
- Ali Braytee, PhD student, on feature extraction from imbalanced data
- Ling Luo, PhD student, on causal inference for spatio-temporal data
- Xinxin Jiang, PhD student, on context-aware recommendation systems
- Fei Wang, PhD student, on game theory for machine learning
Completed Student Supervision:
- Victor Chu, PhD student, causal structure discovery from road traffic data
- Goce Ristanoski, PhD student, on time series regression (with Prof James Bailey)
- Mohammad Mazraehshahi, Master student, on soft-cut decision trees (with Prof Rao Kotagiri)
- DongHawn Lee, Master student, on lazy learning methods (with Prof Rao Kotagiri)
- Jinheng Liu, Master student, ensembles for outlier detection
- Emma Wang, Master student, feature creation for Bagging
- Chun Yuan Lee, Summer intern student, Causality Models for Understanding Road Traffic Changes
- Amogh Sarda, Summer intern student, Incident impact analysis by earning historical road traffic data
- Han Zhou, Summer intern student, Mining social networks for early detection of events
- Zeyang Yu, Summer intern student, on Twitter-based road incident detection.
- Mingxuan Li, Summer intern student (winner of NICTA summer scholar prize), on mining dynamic road traffics.
My Readings/Focus (some via library login)
A* / A ranking venues (rankings are from arc.gov.au):