See item No. 8 of the Park Policies and Guidelines, concerning HUNTING, and item No. 6, concerning use of the Rifle Range. Click the "Park Policies" tab at left.
Earthwork four years ago improved the range dramatically. The target butts are now about 3' lower, and the berms now extend higher above the targets and back along the sides. A used-tire retaining wall has been installed behind the targets to cut down on erosion. A new pistol bench and small tool shed are complete.
SPECIAL REQUEST - MOST OF THE EFFORT MAINTAINING THE RANGE IS SPENT REPLACING SHOT-UP BUTT POLES, SUPPORTS AND BACKBOARDS, AND PICKING UP BRASS.
FELLOW MEMBERS WORK HARD MAINTAINING THE RANGE. YOUR CAREFUL USE IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF USING IT. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO AVOID HITTING THE TARGET BUTTS (POSTS), PERHAPS YOU ARE SHOOTING FROM TOO FAR AWAY, AND NEED TO MOVE CLOSER OR IMPROVE YOUR AIM.
RIFLE RANGE USE POLICY
RANGE SAFETY RULES
COMMON SENSE IS THE GUIDE - BUT READ AND KNOW ALL RULES & REGULATIONS!!
Shooting is inherently dangerous. Ignoring common-sense safety rules or handling weapons an unsafe way can lead to INJURY OR DEATH. Users assume all risk and liability in the use of the Range. Neither the Warren County Chapter nor any of its Members accept any responsibility for the result of this range's use.
Treat every firearm as if it is loaded at all times.
Never point a firearm at anything you do not plan to shoot.
Keep the muzzle of all firearms pointed in a safe direction.
Be sure of your target AND WHAT IS BEHIND IT BEFORE YOU FIRE.
NEVER use the Range under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
If others are downrange, keep guns unloaded, action open.
Use eye and hearing protection while shooting.
Check the bore of any gun before firing to be sure it is clear.
Use only ammunition designed for use in your type of gun.
NEVER shoot at a flat, hard surface; on this range, only paper and movable silhouette targets are allowed - NO GLASS, ALUMINUM CANS, PLASTIC OR ROCKS!!
DO NOT DIRECT YOUR FIRE OFF THIS RANGE AT ANY TIME.
1. The following types of weapons are allowed on the range:
- Rifles and pistols up to and including .50 caliber.
- Black powder, muzzle-loading rifles and pistols up to and including .78 calibers
- Shotguns, both black powder and all modern gauges.
2. The following types of weapons and /or ammunition are not allowed on this Range:
- Incendiary, armor piercing, and explosive ammunition.
- Fully automatic firearms.
- Paintball guns.
3. Shooters must clean up before leaving the range. Deposit your spent brass in the recycle container provided or take it with you. Used targets must be taken with you.
4. DO NOT LEAVE ANY LIVE AMMUNITION ON THE RANGE.
5. Only Members in good standing of the Warren County Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America, Inc. their spouse/significant other, minor children or grandchildren under the age of 18 may use the range. The Adult member must be on the range and supervise minors and spouse/ significant other. Members must have their membership in their possession and show it on request. No guest may enter on this range.
6. Range hours are from 8:00 a.m. until dusk (Monday through Saturday) and from 12:00 noon until dusk (Sunday). This Range is closed for special Chapter events; e.g., Annual Beef Dinner, Trout Rodeo, Members' Annual Picnic, weddings, and funerals. This range is also closed from the first Saturday in October through the first Saturday in December for Deer Hunting Season.
See item No. 8 of the Park Policies and Guidelines, for specific information on HUNTING. Click the "Park Policies" tab at the upper left.