Home‎ > ‎

Ward and Church Timeline

                                   Ward, Colorado            

High in a Colorado Gold Town


Town of Ward, Colorado with Church in center


Home                                        Timeline Ward and Union Congregational Church

 

 1860   First Mining era.  


Calvin Ward discovers gold. Gold Discovered on Columbia Vein in 1862.  Ward Mining District established in 1862.  Post Office and Ward School established in 1863. Niwot and Long’s Peak Mill built.  1863 and 1864, prospectors discovered the Ward, Nelson, Croesus, Banner, California, Stoughton, Norman, Rothschild, and other veins both to the north and south.  While these new ore bodies lent fuel to a growing rush, the lack of capital retarded extensive exploration and development.  In1864, Davidson,Breath, and Pomeroy cooperated on a road up Left Hand Canyon from Lick Skillet Gulch. Prospectors sold out claims and era of outsider investing began.  Columbia City flourished in Upper Ward surrounding the Niwot Mill, Mine and Boarding House.  

Haswell & Henry Mercantile Store, Brookfield Hotel, Masonic Lodge established.  Population grew to 500.



 Niwot Mine and Mill

1867     End of first mining era.  

Ore easily crushed played out.  Mills were unable to handle refractory ore which required smelting to extract gold.  Mines and mills closed, businesses 

sold.  Lost population.

 

1872   Second Mining Era.  

Techniques for refining refractory ore developed.  Mines re-opened.   New mines and mills began operating.  Cabins, businesses, hotels built in lower               area (present Town of Ward).  Great Silver Crash curtailed investor  funds and  mining operations.

Long's Peak Mill, c 1872

 

1892 Beginning of Third Mining Era.  

            Ward Mining District booms. New mines                               opened in surrounding area including Puzzler, Camp Francis, Spring Gulch,   Left Hand Canyon. Population estimated to be

 total of 5,000  in Ward  Mining District with five hotels and seven saloons in Ward.


Camp Francis, Dew Drop Mine, 1895

 

1894 Ward Congregational Church formed. 

         Church building began in 1896 with  funding from prominent citizens and major mining companies who                                                          hoped to entice a railroad.  First photos of Church showing brown  exterior  c 1896 - 1898.


 

1898 Ward Congregational Church Dedicated.  

        Described as “beautiful interior with  pretty and neatly-figured papering upon the walls and ceiling and stained                         woodwork of the casements.” Church exterior now appears “white” in photos.

 

1898 Town of Ward incorporated.

 

1898 Railroad from Boulder to Ward (known as Switzerland Trail) opened with  Governor attending opening celebration.



Switzerland Trail
Switzerland Trail -- Train from Boulder to Ward

 

1899   Church purchased house and lot for Parsonage (Lot 4, Block 5)  from John Cox  for                                            $375.00.  Deed recorded for both Church (Lot 9, Block 6) and parsonage.

 

1900 January fire destroyed entire business district of Ward.  Church and Schoolhouse saved. Ward economy faltered and never recovered.


 

1903   Tourism thrived.  Wildflower excursions on train popular.  Winter weatheroften forced closure of train to Ward.  Two train wrecks caused by avalanches.               Trains unable to reach Ward in winter to service the mines. 


 1905 Most mines closed because of decline ore resources.

 

1907 Last official pastor listed in Archives of Congregational Church.  Pastorship  “vacant” after that year. After that “a regular minister” was never employed but          any minister who wanted to preach could.  Some came from Boulder  and in the summer there was generally a tourist who would preach or  lead a discussion

 

1918   Flood and break in Left Hand Reservoir take out railroad track.  Railroad ceased operating to Ward.

Flood Left Hand Reservoir, 1918

 

1920   End of significant mining in Ward.  Railroad went into receivership.  Rails  torn out and sold.  Cars and trucks replaced need for railroad.

 

1934   In 1934 Roosevelt signed into law the Gold Reserve and Silver Purchase acts  raising the price of gold and silver in hopes to resuscitate mining.                               Interest in Ward area increases and several mines re-opened.

 

1937 Church sold old parsonage building (Lot 4, Block 5) for $ 75.00 because of back                                              taxes owed and dilapidated and unsanitary condition of building which had been  rented for years. Money realized to be used to 

“provide milk for undernourished  children in town.”

 

1942   War Production Board Ruling L-208 mandated the immediate suspension of gold  mining by the end of 1942 on the grounds that gold was not of strategic  importance. Reliant primarily on gold ore, nearly all the mines in the  Ward  district had to close.

 

1950   Population of Ward decreased to 10.


Ward, Colorado 1953

 

 1960s  1965 Black Jack Mine re-opened.  Later operated sporadically as Captain Jack with various owners throughout the next 30 years.  Church foundation repaired. Boulder County provided truck to haul away rocks  that had fallen onto back side of Church from hillside. Roof repaired.     Church interior “remodeled” and wall paneling and ceiling tiles  installed.

 

1970s Town began to repopulate.  Rev. James Poe moved to Ward and began holding  Church                              services, followed by services and activities in 1980’s and 1990’s by  local residents. 

 

1980s Church housed the Ward Free Box (clothing) and Ward Food Bank.

 

1985 Stairs built to Church Office above vestibule (now a store room).

 

1992 Captain Jack operations on Big 5 Mine caused spillage into Left Hand Creek and  operation permanently shut down by Division of Minerals and Geology. Ends all  mining in Ward District.

 

1995 Church electrical system redone.

 

1996 New roof installed and Church freshly painted for 100th Anniversary 

 

1997 Church re-organized with 501 c 3 status.  Church continues to be active and  center of community activities.  


Ward Church by Carol Jenkins

 

2011 “Friends of Historic Ward Church” organizes first annual Ward Church Days  Three-Day Celebration, Fund Raiser and Art Exhibition in August to raise           approximate $ 3,000 needed for Annual Operating budget of Church.  Includes “Welcome Back” Sunday Service for current and past members.  Church Days          held each August for next three years.

 



2014 Plans begin to submit Historic Assessment Grant to Colorado History for funds  to assess current structure in hopes of preserving this historic Church 

    building.   4th Annual Ward Church Days held August 17, 18, and 19.  $3,000 raised.



Ward in Summer

 

2014 Church Awarded HSA State Historical Fund grant from History Colorado,  Colorado Historical Society.  Contracts with The White Company of Colorado          Springs to implement the assessment.



Early History of Ward


Comments