17-19 High Street - High Street
Tudor buildings - diagonally opposite Avanti - probably built around 1530, but No 18 has a fine vaulted cellar from the 14th century. William Loader, a Royalist mayor around the time of the civil war, who helped rebuild St Mary's Church, lived here.
Angier Almshouses - Reading Road
Founded by John Angier in 1681, and further endowed by Francis Bunting in 1886, and still in use.
Calleva House - High Street
Home to William Hucks, MP from 1714-40, and bought by Richard Lovegrove in 1777, whose son, also Richard Lovegrove, who founded the Baptist Church in the back garden. It is built of Nettlebed brick, and briefly served as Calleva House School around 1890-1920. It is now Summer Davis Antiques.
Corn Exchange - Market Place
Erected in 1856 – the iron arches were cast by Wilder’s - it ran a weekly corn market. The building operated as a grain exchange until the First World War. It was occasionally used as a cinema, boxing arena, auction room and theatre after that. After the Second World War it was used as a food office, and also an unemployment office and for the Social Security Ministry. The derelict building was purchased by the Sinodun Players in 1975 and converted into a modern theatre and cinema.
Fish Street Foundry - 36 St Mary's Street and Mill Lane
This was the first of Wilder's foundries in Walingford. The building used to belong to the Corporation of Wallingford, and William Hilliard leased it from them, and then let it to Leonard Wilder. His son Richard Wilder later bought the property and then the area behind. The Maharajah's Well elephant and the roof trusses of the Corn Exchange were cast here. The foundry shop is now Louise Claire Millinery, while the forge is now a private house. The shop has a weather vane on the roof, and a street sign still bearing the Fish Street address.
Flint House (Wallingford Museum) - High Street
This is has a 17th century flinted exterior, with a timber-framed structure, possibly of late 15th century, and is believed to have been owned by Richard Norreys. It is likely that the original building was part of Holy Trinity Priory.
St John's Cottage and St John's House - St John's Road
Parts of a large building from the early 16th century building. St John's Cottage has a 19th century exterior.
St Lucian's - St Lucian's Lane
This early 16th century private house (home to the Wilder family), previously known as Wharf House, was described by architecture critic Nikolaus Pevsner as "the most interesting house in Wallingford". It has tall chimneys and mulleined windows. It was built during the reign of Henry VIII. It was briefly used as a school (Lower Wharf Academy).
Tudor houses in the High Street, Calleva House and St Lucian's
Stone Hall - High Street
This private house was built for Edward Wells, brewer, who later became an MP. Wallingford mayor Thomas Greenwood is thought to have refronted the 18th century building around 1820.
Wallingford Town Hall - Market square
Wallingford Town Hall and Church of St. Mary-the-More, by Charles G. Harper from Thames Valley Villages (1910)
The Town Hall was built in 1670 on the site of a previous town hall. Market stalls were placed underneath, and the building served as a prison and a school at various times.
Wilder's New Foundry - Goldsmiths' Lane
This purpose-built foundry, built in 1869 for Richard Wilder's son, also Richard Wilder, supplemented the original Fish Street Foundry. It is now a series of flats.
Listed Structures For a full list of listed structures in Wallingford from the Images of England website, enter Wallingford as search text: http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/search/default.aspx?pid=1