As a saxophonist based in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, Michael Walk regularly performs in the jazz and new music idioms, and in numerous jazz ensembles and big bands.
Based in the Twin Cities Area, Saxophonist Michael Walk is an accomplished and versatile performer and composer in musical settings ranging from creative jazz, modern big band, and progressive popular styles. He has performed with various well known music groups such as The Temptations, Idina Menzel, The Four Tops, Martha Reeves, Doc Severinson, The Jimmy Dorsey Big Band, JAZZMN Big Band, The Minnesota Orchestra, Leslie Gore, Bob Hope, The Good Bad and the Funky, Sister Sledge, Franki Valli, Gladys Knight, Myron Floren, the Artie Shaw Band, and others.
After receiving his Bachelor of Music Education from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire in 1992, he worked as a musician for various cruise ship companies based in Miami, FL. He went on to obtain his Masters Degree in Music Education from UW-River Falls in 2002. He is currently an Instrumental Music Instructor for Stillwater Area Schools, Stillwater MN.
He is currently a member of the the JAZZAX Saxophone quartet. The JAZZAX Saxophone Quartet specializes in performing music that features improvisation, always creating spontaneous and engaging live performances.
Michael is on the faculty of the SHELL LAKE ARTS CENTER. Michael teaches saxophone, jazz improvisation, and directs ensembles at the summer Jazz Ensemble Camps. He has been on the SLAC Jazz Faculty since 1991.
• Theories on teaching/learning Jazz Improvisation.
• Click to view transcribed solos of Coltrane, Bergonzi, and Gordon.
• Compositions for Big Band and Jazz Saxophone Quartet at www.ReallyGoodMusic.com
• Member of JAZZAX SAX QUARTET.
• Instrumental Music Instructor for Stillwater (MN) Area Schools since 2000.
• Michael Plays a Selmer Mark VI Alto, Mark VI Tenor, and a Yamaha 62 Soprano