Did You Know
- Roll carts not put away or put out too soon can cost big bucks! Roll carts and recyclables containers are to be placed at the curbside no later than 8:00 a.m. and removed from the curbside not later than 7:30 p.m. on the day of collection, normally Thursday. The city will take away your cart for repeated violations and a charge of $76.87 will be incurred to get it back! In addition, a summons can be issued carrying a fine of $100.00 first offense! You must use a roll cart for your garbage. You may use up to three more secure bags.
- Large items to be disposed of such as appliances, furniture, bedding, etc should be collected in a special pick up. Call 311 for pickup.
- Litter in your yard is your responsibility. Please keep your yard clean of trash and debris all the way to the street. Keeping your sidewalk clear of trash and overgrowth makes our neighborhood safer for everyone.
- No more than three unrelated people can live in a dwelling unit (apartment or house). A visit from the rooming house team can result in fines beginning at $470.00!
- Unreasonably loud, disturbing or unnecessary noise--for example, loud parties and car stereos-- is a violation of the City of Columbia ordinances. The property owner, tenant or driver will be held accountable for conduct in violation of the ordinances. Possible fine: $470.00 or 30 days in jail.
- Check your lease: you and/or your landlord are required to maintain your property. If your landlord is not doing repairs and maintenance he is required to do, call 311. If your property has a dilapidated appearance you can be issued a notice to bring your dwelling up to the International Property Maintenance Code, or else a summons will be issued. Possible Fine: $470 or 30 days in jail.
- Vehicles cannot be parked in the front yard except upon a surface specifically designed for such purposes. Vehicle owners and tenants will be held responsible and issued summons. Fines start at $470.00.
These are just some of the violations that are outlined in the Columbia Code of Ordinances. They will be enforced! Please be advised that an Inspector has been assigned to the neighborhood and is making daily inspections. You can get a copy of all the nuisances covered by contacting the Office of Public Safety at 545-3391. These ordinances were written to improve the quality of life in your neighborhood. Learn and follow them and it will not only save you big bucks, but it will make the neighborhood nicer and safer for everyone!
City of Columbia Nuisance Ordinance
Number to report all violations (anonymously): 311
A ticket is created and actions can be viewed and tracked.
Most Frequent Violation Types:
- Roll cart
- Large item pick up
- Overgrowth Sidewalk Impediment
- Loud parties Impediment
- Overgrowth at Line of Sight Impediment
- Dilapidated Structures Impediment
- Front Yard Parking
Recyclable Items (in blue bin, Thursday brfore 8:00 am):
- Loose newspaper, magazines and catalogs
- Aluminum cans and foil
- Empty aerosol cans
- Steel (“tin”) cans
- Brown, green, and clear glass
- Plastics bottles such as milk jugs and soda bottles with narrow necks, numbered 1-7 on their bottoms (no plastic bags nor egg cartons)
- Flattened cardboard boxes
- Flattened paperboard, as in cereal boxes
- Office paper & junk mail
- Phone books
Do Not Put in Blue Bin:
- Grocery bags
- Manilla envelopes
Bins need to be put away by 7:30 p.m.
Questions? Call: 545-3800.