This page comprises one section of
Let's revert, again, to the basic Steiner Static format: miscellany.
113) [Auras] Steiner believed in ghosts, goblins, astrology, magic... He bought into almost every kind of mystical piffle. One more example: auras. A “whole” person includes an aura, which cannot be seen by ordinary senses although it is easily perceived through the use of psychic powers. So Steiner said, adding that the “whole” person is surprisingly large.
By the way, newer editions of Steiner’s works are often modified to make Steiner seem less benighted. Thus, “his or her” (taken from from an edition of THEOSOPHY published in the 1990s) is an incorrect translation. Steiner spoke of “man” and “his” aura. Here is the same passage, taken from an earlier edition:
Steiner's followers take pains to represent — and misrepresent — Steiner in the most flattering terms. In this case, the distortion is fairly minor. But you should bear the phenomenon in mind when reading Steiner and/or when reading works by Anthroposophists about Steiner. The truth may not always be plainly displayed; you may have to do a bit (or a whole lot) of digging.
114) [High and Low] Here’s another example of editorial fiddling. Steiner said this about races and nations:
“A race or a nation stands so much the higher, the more perfectly its members express the pure, ideal human type....” — Rudolf Steiner, KNOWLEDGE OF THE HIGHER WORLDS AND ITS ATTAINMENT (Anthroposophic Press, 1944), p. 252.
In a more recent edition, this blatant racism is softened slightly by shuffling the word order and adding a strategic set of quotation marks:
Both versions are deplorable, but the newer version is less faithful to Steiner's original statement. The editors have tried to take the edge off Steiner's racism, suggesting that somehow when he spoke of higher races he didn't really mean higher (he only meant "higher," or somewhat more elevated as it were, so to speak, more or less, sort of...). Moral: Read Steiner with skepticism, and when you have a choice, read an older edition. [For more on Steiner's racial views, see, e.g., "Steiner's Racism", "Races", and "Differences".] Actually, when Steiner said that some races are higher than others, he meant just that. Period. No excuses. It's what he meant. No if's, and's, or but's — or equivocating quote marks — about it.
115) [Amen] Steiner's editors sometimes change his words, altering the connotation and even the denotation of his statements. Steiner did something similar with the sources he drew from. He often changed things so that they are virtually unrecognizable. Here, for instance, is one altered version of the Lord’s Prayer as used by Steiner (he used others as well):
Bearing witness to I-being
and to selfhood's guilt —
Incurred through others,
Experienced in the daily bread
Wherein the will of heaven
Does not reign,
Has separated itself
From Your Kingdom
And forgot your names
Ye Fathers in the Heavens.
— Rudolf Steiner, START NOW!
(SteinerBooks, 2004), p. 221.
Steiner said this is the “cosmic” version of the Lord’s Prayer, the one Jesus learned from. It runs more or less backward, beginning with "Aum" (which does not appear in any genuine Christian prayer) and then "Amen" (the ending of any normal Christian prayer). And it ends with the salutation that should be at the beginning (in the Bible, this is "Our Father which art in Heaven" — Matthew 6:9-13). Steiner changed things in order to make them fit into his own spiritual system, Anthroposophy. Notice that in this case, he changed the salutation of the Lord's Prayer so that, instead of addressing one God, it addresses many gods: "Ye Fathers." Anthroposophy is a polytheistic religion. Anyone who embraces monotheism should understand this clearly. Indeed, everyone — the pious, the agnostic, and the atheistic — should understand this. [See "Polytheism".]
We should also notice that Steiner's version of the prayer asserts that "Evils reign." Steiner's followers often claim that Anthroposophy is entirely positive, sweet, and upbeat. But in fact Steiner's vision was laced through with apprehensions of violence and evil. [See, e.g., "Evil", "Evil Ones", and "All vs. All".]
116) [Getting Down] Steiner's strange religion, like his devotion to mystical superstitions, is rooted in antipathy toward (and apparent ignorance of) science. Consider the following, for instance:
“Gravity is...perceived only by those beings that live on a solid planet ... Beings who could live on a fluid planet would know nothing of gravity ... And beings who live on a gaseous planet would regard as normal something that would be the opposite of gravity ... [B]eings dwelling on a gaseous planet instead of seeing bodies falling towards the planet would see them always flying off.” — Rudolf Steiner, SCIENCE (Rudolf Steiner Press 2003), pp. 136-137.
Physicists will be amazed. In their benighted view (based on solid science), gravity exists everywhere, including on gaseous/fluid planets such as Jupiter — where gravity is far greater than on any solid planet in our solar system, such as little Earth. (Space probes often use the gravity of gaseous planets to gain additional speed, so the probes can fly farther into the outer reaches of the solar system. The technique is called getting a "gravity assist," because it depends on the existence of gravity on gaseous planets.)
117) [Ugliness and Ill-Doing] Here in Steiner Static, we’ve been looking a lot at mankind’s past. Let’s momentarily look into the future. Good humans will continue to evolve and reach extremely high levels of spirituality, Steiner taught. Evil humans will have a different fate. The good people will push them aside, segregating them in a special "kingdom" (for their own good, of course):
On other occasions, Steiner indicated that evil people who persist in their wicked ways will drop out of evolution and lose their souls. Here we see him offering a more benign vision: Evil people (some of them, anyway) will be saved, albeit in a form of spiritual apartheid.
(To refresh your memory re. the fate of evildoers who persist in their wickedness far into the future: They will be segregated in a far more definitive way:
71) “During that state [i.e., during Future Venus] a special cosmic body splits off [i.e., will split off] that contains all the beings who have resisted evolution, a so to speak ‘irredeemable moon,’ which now moves [i.e., will move] toward an evolution, for the character of which no expression can be found because it is too dissimilar to anything that man can experience on earth [i.e., the remaining bad souls will be segregated on a separate “moon” where they will undergo an unimaginable fate]....” — Rudolf Steiner, AN OUTLINE OF OCCULT SCIENCE (Anthroposophic Press, 1972), chapter 6, GA 13.
118) [Neighborliness] In a previous installment of Steiner Static, I mentioned Steiner’s nationalistic love of Germany. This great man, with his universal perspective, despised Germany’s neighbor and historic enemy, France. He was beside himself when he saw some Germans falling under the influence of French culture. Imagine the effects this could have on the German “race"!
“Just think how long people who wished to give themselves airs chattered in French in all the German regions ... [W]hat continued on in the language was also perpetrated in other vices ... The legacy of this is still present in the craving to drink absinthe, indeed, even to enjoy cocaine and so on. These things will produce a weak race [in Germany]....” — Rudolf Steiner, FROM COMETS TO COCAINE (Rudolf Steiner Press, 2001), p. 284.
What is wrong with France and the French? Well, for one thing,
How is French corruption revealing itself?
What, in total, is the condition of France?
119) [Reincarnation] Steiner’s real area of expertise was not international relations but the spirit realm, or so his followers believe (but, of course, international relations — and everything else — falls within the ambit of the spirit realm). So instead of berating Steiner for his hostility to the French, let’s respectfully listen as Steiner explains something he knows more about, namely reincarnation.
“[R]ealize that looking at the human head you are looking at the transformed body of your previous earth life, and that the head you had then was the transformed body of your preceding life — you must imagine it without the head, of course. The head you see now is the transformed organism of the last life lived on earth. The rest of the organism as you see it now will be the head in the next life. Then the arms will have metamorphosed and become ears, and the legs will have become eyes.” — Rudolf Steiner, POLARITIES IN THE EVOLUTION OF MANKIND (Rudolf Steiner Press, 1987), p. 59.
I kid you not.