Hawaii Trip Background
In 2002, the Viroqua cross country team was invited to compete in the 4th Annual Iolani XC Invitational, which featured some of the most talented individuals and teams in the nation. The invitation was cordially extended by the coach of the Iolani cross country team, James Rubasch, who had been following the success of our runners in the Vernon Broadcaster. Coach Rubasch is a 1982 graduate of North Crawford and has been in Hawaii since 1987. He still owns a home in the Viroqua area and travels back to Wisconsin with his family every summer. We have taken five trips (2002, 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018) and they have all been successful. Our runners competed very well, represented our community in a positive manner, and had the experience of a lifetime! It is our goal to make the 2022 trip every bit as successful as the last five trips!
The letter that started it all:
2022 Trip Information (Tentative):
- Destination: Oahu, Hawaii
- Race: 2022 Iolani XC Invitational at Kualoa Ranch
- Departure Date: TBD (Likely to be 9/14/2022 or 9/21/2022)
- Return Date: TBD (Likely 9/20/2022 or 9/27/2022)
- Hotel: TBD (Likely Waikiki Beachcomber)
- Activities include: Touring the USS Arizona Memorial, snorkeling in the Hanaumau Bay Nature Preserve, hiking to the top of Diamondhead Volcano, spaghetti dinner at Iolani School, touring the Dole pineapple plantation, and many other activities.
- Trip cost in 2018: $1715 per runner after refund (not including food or souvenirs)
- Projected cost for 2022: $2000 - $2200 per runner