Why join the Viroqua Cross Country Team?
1. It's FUN!!!! Our athletes work hard, but they have a great time!
2. There is no bench in cross country. Everyone competes in almost every event and everyone contributes to the success of the team!
3. It teaches you discipline. Discipline is just the difference between what you want now and what you want most!
4. It will increase your fitness and endurance, which is perfect preparation for other sports! We have had numerous Viroqua cross country athletes on our teams who hold school records in other sports, have competed in WIAA State Tournaments in other sports, and even earned State Champion honors.
5. It teaches you to set goals and to appreciate the process involved in accomplishing your goals.
6. You get to be a valuable member of a team, no matter how fit or fast you are. Every athlete has an important role to play in the success of our team.
7. Meet new people and make great friends who provide great support and are always in your corner!
8. Your success can be measured in many ways. You can compete against your own past times or you can compete against other athletes. You don't have to be fast to be successful, you just have to be willing to work hard!
9. You get to find your limits, and then push past them!
10. Did I mention......It's FUN!!!!
I'm not fast. Won't I just get discouraged if I join the team?
You don't need to be fast to join cross country. You don't even need to be a "runner"! Your coaches and teammates will help you to improve your fitness and you can measure your success by how your race times improve over a season or from one year to the next. Some of our most successful runners have never run in a varsity race, but they have made tremendous improvements over their careers and have accomplished great things!
What if I have limitations?
Everyone has what they perceive as limitations. Don't let yours discourage you from pushing yourself to try new things. Think you're too slow or not talented enough to join the cross country team? Check out the following video for a little inspiration!