Lomira Municipal Building located at 425 Water Street OPEN BOOK AND BOARD OF REVIEW DATES SET! MORE INFORMATION IN 'ANNOUNCEMENTS' BELOW
The Village of Lomira is governed by an elected president and six trustees. These individuals, each serving a two-year staggered term, make up the village board. Village employees include a clerk-treasurer, a deputy clerk-treasurer, director of public works, an assistant to the director of public works, full-time street crew employees, and an attorney. The Village Planning Commission includes the village president, two trustees and four citizen members. This commission maintains a master plan for village expansion and future development.
Village Board meetings are held the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month starting at 7:30 pm. If you would like to be placed on the agenda, please do so by contacting the Village Clerks office.
The Planning & Zoning Commission meetings are held as needed on the fourth Wednesdays of the month starting at 7:00 pm.
The Village of Lomira Building Inspector is Mary Kay Vogel of Kunkel Engineering. An appointment can be made by calling
Mary Kay Vogel at 920-210-4135.
Lomira was first settled by the Indians in 1840. White settlers, mostly from New York and various European countries, followed in 1843.
Stories told through the generations report that in the earlier days of Indian settlement, the village was called Springfield. Possibly this name derived from the existence of a natural spring in the midst of lucious farmland.
There first record of a settlement is in 1849 at which time the name of Lomira was adopted. The first United States Postal ServicePost Office was established on 11 May 1849. Oral stories passed down offer two accounts for selecting the name of Lomira for this settlement. One story suggests that the name originates from the low land area around the village. Combining "Lo" with the mire and mud of the area created the name Lomira. The second story relates that an early family named Schoonover had a daughter named Elmira who was well known in the settlement. The spelling of Elmira's name influenced the settled upon village name of Lomira. Possibly, the name evolved due to aspects of both stories.
A petition for incorporation of the Village of Lomira was made to the circuit court of Dodge County, Wisconsin Dodge County on 24 March 1899. The petition described the designated territory of population "433 residents" as "containing a large number of stores, saloons, residences, elevators, hotels, blacksmith shops, cheese factory, planning mill and other places of business, and that the same is a railroad station." Copies of the petition were posted in the saloon of F. Kauper, the saloon of Peter Greiten, and in the store and office of Peter Wolf, "all of which said places are public places." Petitioners presented the incorporation order at a special term of the circuit court held in the city of Waukesha, WisconsinWaukesha, Wisconsin on 9 May 1899. Records of the public election on 3 June 1899 show 104 ballots were cast, of which 58 were cast for incorporation and 45 against.