Board Minutes June 7th 2012

Minutes of the VSLA board meeting

June 7, 2012

Members present:  Karen Hennig, Marcia Peterson, Anna Bolognani, Claire Buckley, Cheryl Kissel, Merlyn Miller, Donna Smyth, Donna Sullivan-Macdonald, Kathy Lawrence, and Faith Carpenter.

1.     The meeting was called to order at 4:40.

2.      The secretary’s report was accepted and approved. (Motion: CK, Second: MM)

3.      The treasurer’s report was discussed (after revisions from the annual meeting) and accepted.  (Motion: MM, Second: CB)

4.      Introductions around the table came next.

5.      Donna S-M gave a brief wrap-up of the Dynamic Landscapes conference.  Attendance numbers were strong.  CB requested that we get financials from Vita-Learn to aid in our planning for next year, especially if we decide to do an extended conference into Saturday.

6.      Anna asked if any of the Board had ideas for a fall conference or PD opportunities.  The popularity of Linda McSweeney’s boot camps speaks to the desire for these opportunities by practicing librarians.  We discussed:

·       Keeping it free

·       Combining regions, maybe having sessions in multiple places around the state at the same time

·       A common “keynote” via LNV

·       An EdCamp “unconference” model-- mining the expertise of those who attend

·       Saturday time slots

·       Possible topics, e.g.  e-books, Common Core

We will come to some decisions about date, locations, and speaker at the July retreat.

 

7.     A discussion of scholarships and funds came next.  We looked at Kate Davie’s  2 newly created documents for applying for these.  To clarify, we added the word “regional” to the microgrant application for representatives who may want to apply for extra funds beyond the $100.00 annual allowance for regional meeting expenses.  We also want to add language specifying the need for a deadline and for receipts.  (DS and MM will form a committee to make these changes and set guidelines and report back at the July retreat.)

A motion to set a limit of $250.00 for regional grants was made (Motion: MM Second: KH) and passed.

A motion  (Motion: MM, Second: KH) to set a limit of $500.00 for Professional Development scholarships was made and passed.

8.      Kathy Lawrence asked the Board whether we might consider offering stipends/incentives for VSLA members who have a lesson plan accepted by AASL for posting in its database.  Kathy will draft a proposal for the July retreat.

9.     A discussion followed about the extended DL conference.  Joyce Valenza is not available for this in 2013 after all, so we will continue to think about her for 2014.  Donna S-M suggested that we might think about extending the 2013 conference into Thursday evening, and/or perhaps doing a dinner.

10.   Karen Hennig reported that the membership table at VLC and DL conference is working well;  lots of renewals came in.  The board also decided that retirees honored at the conference need to be VSLA members, and that we’ll continue to solicit names using the listserv.

11.  Merlyn gave her NESLA/AASL reports and will send those electronically to the Board as well.  She mentioned:

·       a NEASC workshop to be held in Kingston, NH on September 29

·       a leadership conference in spring 2013 featuring Barbara Stripling as keynote on the Common Core  (date TBA)

·       ongoing work on the panel at ALA for the “Best of the Best” from University presses

12.   A discussion of the newsletter and website followed.  The big question is how/where should people submit ideas, share concerns, etc.  How can helpful content from the listserv find a home on the website?  Anna will talk to Tricia Manzke (new webmaster) about this.

13.  Kathy handed out a re-vamped document that librarians might use to introduce themselves to new faculty, “nudge” them to collaborate, etc.  Kathy will send Tricia both the pdf and the Publisher files for this so members can access it from the website.

14.  Regional reports  followed.  CK reported the numbers in her region are up.  It works well to have meetings following the Materials Review sessions.  Other regions reported  a desire to increase participation.

15.   The July 17 retreat was discussed next.  A venue needs to be found and suggestions were made.  Phone calls will be made (list below).  A google doc will be started to compile responses.

a.     Capital Plaza, Killington Grand  (AB)

b.     Marshland Farm (FC)

c.     Cortina Inn (DS)

d.     Woodstock Inn (KL)

e.     Three Stallion Inn (CK)

16.  MM motioned to adjourn;  seconded by CK.  Meeting was adjourned at 7:00.




Minutes of the VSLA board meeting

June 7, 2012

Members present:  Karen Hennig, Marcia Peterson, Anna Bolognani, Claire Buckley, Cheryl Kissel, Merlyn Miller, Donna Smyth, Donna Sullivan-Macdonald, Kathy Lawrence, and Faith Carpenter.

1.     The meeting was called to order at 4:40.

2.      The secretary’s report was accepted and approved. (Motion: CK, Second: MM)

3.      The treasurer’s report was discussed (after revisions from the annual meeting) and accepted.  (Motion: MM, Second: CB)

4.      Introductions around the table came next.

5.      Donna S-M gave a brief wrap-up of the Dynamic Landscapes conference.  Attendance numbers were strong.  CB requested that we get financials from Vita-Learn to aid in our planning for next year, especially if we decide to do an extended conference into Saturday.

6.      Anna asked if any of the Board had ideas for a fall conference or PD opportunities.  The popularity of Linda McSweeney’s boot camps speaks to the desire for these opportunities by practicing librarians.  We discussed:

·       Keeping it free

·       Combining regions, maybe having sessions in multiple places around the state at the same time

·       A common “keynote” via LNV

·       An EdCamp “unconference” model-- mining the expertise of those who attend

·       Saturday time slots

·       Possible topics, e.g.  e-books, Common Core

We will come to some decisions about date, locations, and speaker at the July retreat.

 

7.     A discussion of scholarships and funds came next.  We looked at Kate Davie’s  2 newly created documents for applying for these.  To clarify, we added the word “regional” to the microgrant application for representatives who may want to apply for extra funds beyond the $100.00 allowance for regional meeting expenses.  We also want to add language specifying the need for a deadline and for receipts.  (DS and MM will form a committee to make these changes and set guidelines and report back at the July retreat.)

A motion to set a limit of $250.00 for regional grants was made (Motion: MM Second: KH) and passed.

A motion  (Motion: MM, Second: KH) to set a limit of $500.00 for Professional Development scholarships was made and passed.

8.      Kathy Lawrence asked the Board whether we might consider offering stipends/incentives for VSLA members who have a lesson plan accepted by AASL for posting in its database.  Kathy will draft a proposal for the July retreat.

9.     A discussion followed about the extended DL conference.  Joyce Valenza is not available for this in 2013 after all, so we will continue to think about her for 2014.  Meanwhile, is an evening extension on the Friday better?  Saturday 1/2 day?

10.   Karen Hennig reported that the membership table at VLC and DL conference is working well;  lots of renewals came in.  The board also decided that retirees honored at the conference need to be VSLA members, and that we’ll continue to solicit names using the listserv.

11.  Merlyn gave her NESLA/AASL reports and will send those electronically to the Board as well.  She mentioned:

·       a NEASC workshop to be held in Kingston, NH on September 29

·       a leadership conference in spring 2013 featuring Barbara Stripling as keynote on the Common Core  (date TBA)

·       ongoing work on the panel at ALA for the “Best of the Best” from University presses

12.   A discussion of the newsletter and website followed.  The big question is how/where should people submit ideas, share concerns, etc.  How can helpful content from the listserv find a home on the website?  Anna will talk to Tricia Manzke (new webmaster) about this.

13.  Kathy handed out a re-vamped document that librarians might use to introduce themselves to new faculty, “nudge” them to collaborate, etc.  Kathy will send Tricia both the pdf and the Publisher files for this so members can access it from the website.

14.  Regional reports  followed.  CK reported the numbers in her region are up.  It works well to have meetings following the Materials Review sessions.  Other regions reported  a desire to increase participation.

15.   The July 17 retreat was discussed next.  A venue needs to be found and suggestions were made.  Phone calls will be made (list below).  A google doc will be started to compile responses.

a.     Capital Plaza, Killington Grand  (AB)

b.     Marshland Farm (FC)

c.     Cortina Inn (DS)

d.     Woodstock Inn (KL)

e.     Three Stallion Inn (CK)

16.  MM motioned to adjourn;  seconded by CK.  Meeting was adjourned at 7:00.

Comments