TITLE: Transportation CODE: F12
Where it is reasonable and necessary to enable a student entitled or required to attend an
elementary or secondary school operated by the District, the District may furnish transportation
on public roads to students who reside within the District. The District may provide
transportation to non-resident students as authorized by the Board. Accordingly, the Windham
Southeast Supervisory has decided to furnish transportation under this policy
The superintendent will establish routes and designate stops after considering both the safety of
children and efficiency of operation. The superintendent will consider the following factors when
determining routes and stops.
1. The presence or absence of sidewalks or paths off the highway.
2. Width, condition and class of highways, including curves, hills, intersections, turnarounds,
and seasonal road conditions.
3. Density and speed of traffic.
4. Proximity of dwellings, factories, or industrial areas.
5. Physical nature of any area such as presence of woods, ravines, or gravel pits.
6. The number of children required to congregate at any designated stop, and supervision
available at any designated stop.
7. Health or physical impairment of students being transported.
8. Distance traveled. on a single route, and the length of time spent on a bus by any given
student going to or returning from school.
9. Age and maturity of students transported.
The superintendent may consider any other factors he or she deems appropriate when
establishing routes and designated stops.
The Superintendent shall submit to the school board for approval, any contracts, leases or
purchase necessary to maintain and operate transportation equipment, and shall include in his or
her annual report to the Board information as to all pupils transported by the school district and
the expense thereof.
Date Warned: April 11, 2013
Date Adopted: April 22, 2013
Legal Reference(s): 16 V.S.A. §§1221, 1222, 1224 (Student transportation)
16 V.S.A. §1551 (Technical Center Transport)
Cross Reference: Bus Discipline (F2)