Jerilyn R. Veldof
University of Minnesota Libraries | Twin Cities Campus
409a Wilson Library | 309 19th Avenue South | Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455
Office: (612) 624-1529 | Fax: (612) 626-9353 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dynamic organization development & training professional
with extensive experience in higher education and libraries
- Excellent collaborator and skilled networker with connections and successful partnerships forged across multiple departments and offices at the University of Minnesota.
- Crafted each of the five positions I have held, shaped and led two new departments, and created half a dozen new positions.
- Successful track record of designing, leading, and implementing numerous initiatives for the University Libraries, the University, and regional and national groups, including assessment and evaluation components.
- Trainer of over 1,000 people on an approach I published in the book, Creating the One-Shot Library Workshop: A Step-by-Step Guide. Also authored 15 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters.
Organization Development Associate, University of Minnesota Libraries (2011 – present)
- Led a leadership development initiative which consists of two main programs, a nine-month "Core Leadership: Individual Development Program" for staff in both positional and situational leadership positions, and a twelve-month "Management Deep Dive" series for supervisors and managers. Produced a video about the Individual Development Program available here: http://z.umn.edu/ae8.
- Led an engagement initiative for the Libraries. Includes designing and facilitating division, department, and unit engagement discussions and implementing customized strategies.
- Created and coordinated the Libraries' onboarding experience that includes a two-part library orientation, guide to the Libraries, a buddy, and a mentor program.
- Provided online and in-person training and development opportunities to staff including designing and leading workshops on a wide variety of topics (e.g. goal setting, decision-making, management practices). Increasingly converting training into eLearning.
- Led an organizational assessment which launched initiatives in leadership development, alignment, group effectiveness, assessment, and decision making/accountability.
- Supported extensive reorganization of the Libraries by co-facilitating a series of meetings with all departments to assess future directions.
- Shaped a new position and function.
Director of Coordinated Educational Services, University of Minnesota Libraries (2006 – 2010)
- Built and supervised a team of nine staff responsible for orientation for faculty and students, in-person and online training for over 5,000 students annually, professional development programs for faculty, coordination of the Libraries help desk and FAQ, development of general digital tools for using the libraries, professional development programs for librarians and staff, and eLearning support to library staff creating online modules for faculty/staff training.
- Contributed to shaping Libraries strategic directions and activities through participation on the Academic Programs Director’s group and the Library Leadership Council.
- Led several task forces including one identifying recommendations for integrating performance support into the website, another charged with realigning staff and redesigning the Learning Resources Center facility and, and a third charged with meeting the research instructional needs of the new first year writing program through an e-learning solution.
- Co-led a group that redesigned the Libraries’ Assignment Calculator, a tool that gives faculty and students the ability to shape assignments and give students the tools they need to successfully use the Libraries and write their papers and lab reports or other types of assignments. The open source of this tool is used extensively in higher education.
- Shaped a new position and department.
Director of Undergraduate Initiatives, University of Minnesota Libraries (2003 – 2006)
- Designed and led an extensive assessment process consisting of faculty and undergraduate focus groups and interviews with key stakeholders in undergraduate education at the University of Minnesota.
- Formulated a plan for impacting undergraduate education and a request for funding through the University Compact process. Received funding through the University’s compact for $250,000 one-time and $200,000 recurring funding.
- Led various initiatives including the development of the SMART Learning Commons, a new Undergraduate Virtual Library web site, and a seminar for faculty incorporating information literacy competencies into courses.
- Ex-officio member of the Council of Undergraduate Deans. Presented frequently about the Libraries' Undergraduate Initiative.
- Shaped a new position and department.
User Education Coordinator, University of Minnesota Libraries (2000 –2003)
- Created and facilitated the Teaching Advisory Group, a team of instructional coordinators in the Libraries.
- Coordinated instructional design teams using an instructional design process to co-develop curriculum for research workshops offered ~150 times a semester with 20 staff and GA’s assisting or teaching.
- Led the creation and development of the Assignment Calculator in collaboration with the CLA Writing Center, the Center for Teaching and Learning Services, and the Center for Interdisciplinary Studies of Writing. 30,633 assignments were calculated in the 2002-2003 fiscal year and the tool has since been replicated at more than 30 libraries around the world.
- Led the creation, development and testing of an orientation and instruction website for faculty and students.
- Created an ongoing partnership with the Center for Teaching and Learning Services to provide development workshops to faculty and TA’s such as “Designing Effective Research Assignments” and “I Sure Don’t Want to do that Assignment Again!” as part of their Teaching Enrichment Series (Spring 2001, Fall 2001, Fall 2002, Fall 2003, Fall 2004, Fall 2005).
- Created specifications and worked with IT staff to develop a registration system intended to increase visibility and frequency of open workshops by aggregating workshop listings and reducing burden on instructors.
- Shaped a new position and function.
Distance Learning Instruction Librarian & Faculty Liaison, University of Minnesota Libraries (1998 - 2000)
- Created an integrated outreach strategy to raise awareness of distance learner resources including a brochure, web pages, and a distance learning focused listserv to promote cross-unit communication.
- Conducted needs assessments with distance learners, faculty, and library staff and analyzed to build an overall strategy responsive to needs and issues.
- Collaborated on the development and piloting of an online library help desk for faculty, students and staff.
- Built a new University of Minnesota Libraries website using user-centered design principles and methods as part of a redesign team; led user testing and analysis of data to inform design.
- Developed and disseminated a report called "Transforming to a Teaching Library" which lays out initial steps for realizing the Libraries’ Information Literacy initiative.
- Redesigned the University of Minnesota Libraries’ e-Learning tutorial, QuickStudy, as part of the Online Library Instruction Project Development Group.
- Shaped a new position and function.
Social Science & Undergraduate Services Librarian, University of Arizona Library (1994 - 1998)
- Conducted focus groups; surveyed customers; maintained a listserv for the Library to discuss needs assessment.
- Redesigned the University of Arizona Library website using user-centered design methods, increased customer satisfaction with Interlibrary Loan using “process improvement methods, and supervised the Peer Information Counselor Program - a group of minority students who assist their peers in using the Library.
- Worked with faculty, graduate teaching assistants, and students to assist with teaching and research; taught classes on library and internet resources and research strategy; created and maintained web resource guides to facilitate use of the library and to point to quality websites; selected materials for purchase.
- Shaped a new position split between two teams.
- University of Minnesota, Human Resource Development. Completed 17 credits of coursework in the Masters program. 2002 - 2004.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Information and Library Studies, Masters in Library Science. 1994.
- Ithaca College, Bachelor of Arts in Planned Studies (a self-created major in anthropology, film and video). Magna Cum Laude, Phi Kappa Phi. 1990.
- School for International Training/ Experiment in International Living. Coastal Studies Program in Kenya, East Africa. Fall 1989.
Many of the following publications are available at http://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/42379
Articles and book chapters
- Veldof, Jerilyn. 2015. Set Your Mind on Leadership Development: Developing Library Leaders Among Current Staff is Investing in Your Library's Future. Strategic Library no.13: 1-4.
- Veldof, Jerilyn. 2014. Individual Development Program. Learning Exchange 30, no 4.
- Prescott, Melissa Kalpin and Jerilyn R. Veldof. 2010. A Process Approach to Defining Services for Undergraduates. portal: Libraries and the Academy 10, no. 1: 29-56.
- Veldof, Jerilyn R. 2008. From Desk to Web: Building the Reference Desk into Online Space. In Desk and Beyond: Next Generation Reference Services, edited by Sarah Steiner and Leslie Madden. Chicago: ACRL.
- Veldof, Jerilyn R. 2003. Usability Testing. In Developing Web-based Instruction: Planning, Designing, Managing and Evaluating for Results, edited by Elizabeth A. Dupuis. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers.
- Butler, John T., and Jerilyn R. Veldof. 2003. The Information Literacy Toolkit: Fostering Critical Research Skills in the Online Learning Environment. In Integrating Information Literacy into the College Experience, edited by Julia K. Nims, et al. Ann Arbor, MI: Pierian Press.
- Veldof, Jerilyn. 2003. Take a Ride on the Design Cycle: Instructional Design for Librarians. In Integrating Information Literacy into the College Experience, by Julia K. Nims, et al. Ann Arbor, MI: Pierian Press.
- Butler, John T. and Jerilyn R. Veldof. 2002. Information Literacy Toolkit: Meeting the Challenge of a Large Research University. Academic Exchange Quarterly 6, no.4: 2232-2234.
- Veldof, Jerilyn R., and Karen Beavers. 2001. Going Mental: Tackling Mental Models for the Online Library Tutorial at the University of Minnesota Libraries. Research Strategies 18, no. 1: 3-20.
- Veldof, Jerilyn R., and Shane A. Nackerud. 2001. Do you have the Right Stuff? Seven Areas of Expertise for Successful Web Site Design in Libraries. Internet Reference Services Quarterly 6, no. 1: 13-38
- Veldof, Jerilyn R. 1999. Data driven decisions: Using Data to Inform Process Changes in Libraries. TQM at the University of Arizona; presented at the LRRT program at the 1998 ALA Conference. Library & Information Science Research 21, no. 1: 31-46.
- Veldof, Jerilyn R., Michael J. Prasse, and Victoria A. Mills. 1999. Chauffeured by the User: Usability in the Electronic Library at the University of Arizona and OCLC. Journal of Library Administration 26, no. 3-4: 115-140.
- Veldof, Jerilyn R., Morris, Patricia, and Greenfield, Louise. 1998. The Library Transformed: Building a Shared Vision. In Information Imagineering : Meeting at the Interface, edited by Milton T. Wolf, Pat Ensor and Mary Augusta Thomas. Chicago: American Library Association.
- Veldof, Jerilyn R. 1997. Building Allies at a University Library. Cultural Diversity at Work 9, no. 5: 6.
- Stoffle, Carla J., Robert Renaud, and Jerilyn R. Veldof. May 1996. Choosing our Futures. College & Research Libraries 57, 213-233. Chosen in 2014 as one of seven landmark articles for the Association of Research Libraries 75th anniversary and republished in a special edition of College & Research Libraries.
- Dols, Linda, Karen Newsome, and Jerilyn R. Veldof. 1995. A Process Improvement Approach to Interlibrary Loan." In Arizona Libraries: Books to Bytes: Contributed Papers.
- Veldof, Jerilyn R. 1995. ACRL in Nashville: A Focus on Dialogue. College & Research Libraries News 56, 9.
Presentations & Workshops
outside the University of Minnesota
Leadership & Professional Development: Various workshops and presentations
- "Go, Grow...or Stay? The Imperative of Professional Development," a webinar for the Northeast Florida Library Information Network (August 24, 2016).
- "Creating Awesome Supervisor Training: Best Practices and Techniques from the Library Field," a webinar for the Learning Round Table (March 31, 2016). Online recording.
- "Go, Grow... or Stay? The Imperative of Professional Development," for the Association of College & Research Libraries New York Annual Conference (December 4, 2015). Last keynote. Slides.
- "Leadership Development in Action: Changing Lives, Changing Libraries," for the Association of College & Research Libraries Annual Conference (March 2015). With speakers from the University of Oregon and University of Pittsburgh. Online recording - my segment starts at 14:09.
- "Strategies for Developing and Sustaining Successful Library Initiatives" for the Minnesota Institute for Early Career Librarians (July 23 and 24, 2014). A two day curriculum designed and delivered with Janice Jaguszewski.
- "Leadership Development in Action: Changing Lives, Changing Libraries." Invited presentation for the 11th Columbia Library Symposium in New York City (March 11, 2014). Online recording - presentation starts at 14:25.
How to Get a Paper Written and Published: Designing a Work Plan to Avoid Procrastination: Workshop
- Joule Microbusiness Network (September 20, 2016)
- Northeast Florida Library Information Network, Webinar (September 14, 2016).
- Metropolitan New York Library Council (December 3, 2015).
- American Library Association Annual Conference (June 30, 2014). With Jon Jeffreys.
- Association of College & Research Libraries Annual Conference (April 11, 2013). A three-hour workshop capped at 60 participants with waiting list. With Jon Jeffreys.
- University of Minnesota Extension Services, St Paul, MN (October 3, 2012). With Jon Jeffreys.
- Minnesota Library Association (October 9, 2012). With Jon Jeffreys.
Human Resources / Organization Development: Various workshops and presentations
- Understanding & Dealing with Minnesota Nice in Higher Education: Invited Presentations
- Normandale Community College Staff Session (March 16, 2016). With Corey Bonnema.
- Minnesota State University at Moorhead Staff Webinar (March 15, 2016). With Corey Bonnema.
- Luoma Leadership Academy Annual Gathering (MNSC), “Closing the Opportunity Gap” General Session (February 5, 2016). With Corey Bonnema
- Alexandria Technical and Community College Professional Development Days. Gave a keynote presentation followed by a break-out session (January 7, 2016). Also presented to the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce. With Corey Bonnema.
- Upper Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium Fall Membership Meeting. General Session (November 20, 2015). With Corey Bonnema.
- "Who’s Got the Road Map? Figuring Out the Landscape Of Change," Plenary speaker for WILSWorld 2003 (July 24, 2003).
- “What’s Right with Libraries: Exploring the Use of Appreciative Inquiry at Work,” Invited workshop leader for library staff called, "Enhancing Quality Staff in Changing Times" in the Twin Cities (April 22, 2003).
- "Managing Sexual Orientation Issues in the Workplace," Invited paper at the 5th Annual Lesbian, Bisexual and Gay Awareness Week, University of Arizona (March 25, 1997).
- "Experiences of Librarians Assigned to Split Positions at the University of Arizona Library," Paper presented at the University of Arizona Library's Living the Future Conference (May 2, 1996). With Chris Kollen, Nancy Simons & Jennalyn Tellman.
E-Learning & Performance Support: Various workshops and presentations
- “Help Your Library Users be Successful! Build Safety Nets Where They Stumble and Fall,” Invited workshop co-leader for a regional symposium for library staff called "Enhancing Quality Staff in Changing Times," in the Twin Cities (May 3, 2011).
- “Building Safety Nets into the Online Library: A Presentation” at the Library Technology Conference, St Paul, MN (March 17, 2010). With Shane Nackerud and Ryan Bean.
- “Building Safety Nets into the Online Library: A Workshop” at the Library Technology Conference, St Paul, MN (March 17, 2010). With Jan Fransen.
- “From Desk to Web: Building the Reference Desk into Online Space.” Invited half-day pre-conference workshop presenter for the Manitoba Library Association (May 6, 2009).
- “From Desk to Web: Creating Safety Nets in the Online Library.” Invited half-day workshop presenter for MINITEX Information Network’s regional workshop (April 29, 2009). With Jan Fransen.
- “E-Learning: Variations on a Theme.” Invited speaker for the Association of Research Libraries Conference panel on “New Frontiers in Online Learning” (January 20, 2007).
- Invited presenter for an Association of Research Libraries’ podcast on the future of reference (based on my book chapter in Desk and Beyond: Next Generation Reference Services, edited by Sarah Steiner and Leslie Madden). (September 2008). Located at http://z.umn.edu/aeg.
- “Designing Online Learning from Start to Finish.” Invited full day workshop leader for a preconference hosted by Wisconsin Library Services (July 26, 2004).
- "Pedagogy and the Online Learner." Invited speaker for the American Library Association (June 26, 2004).
- "Going Mental: Tackling Mental Models for the Online Library Tutorial," Presentation for “Powerful Learning, Powerful Partnerships: Educating the University Community in a Dynamic Information Environment” at the University of Iowa (November 11, 1999). With Karen Beavers.
Creating the One-Shot Library Workshop Step-by-Step: Full day training sessions
- Southern Connecticut State University (May 18, 2011).
- University of Wisconsin (Madison) (August 13, 2010). Half day adaptation.
- Colorado State University (May 7, 2010). Half day adaptation.
- University of Alberta (June 16, 2008).
- Cornell University (March 6, 2008) – Half day adaptation.
- University of Southern California (June 15, 2007).
- University of Kansas (May 21, 2007).
- Manitoba Health Science Librarians Preconference (April 20, 2007).
- American Library Association Conference (January 19, 2007).
- MINITEX Library Information Network’s regional workshop (January 5, 2007).
- Institute for Early Career Librarians from Traditionally Underrepresented Groups (October 19, 2004). With Jan Roseen – Half day adaptation.
- WILSWorld Preconference (July 22, 2003).
- University of Vanderbilt (March 13 & 14, 2003).
- Triangle Research Library Network in North Carolina (November 4, 2002).
- Training Institute for Early Career Librarians from Traditionally Underrepresented Groups (October 3, 2002). With Jan Roseen.
- American Theological Library Association Annual Conference (June 18, 2002).
- Wisconsin Library Association (October 23, 2001).
Instructional Design & Information Literacy: Various workshops and presentations
- “What’s a Library to Do? Transforming the One-Shot Library Workshop for the New Learning Paradigm.” Invited presenter for the Cornell University Library (March 6, 2008).
- “Instructional Design for the Development of a System-Wide School Library Workshop.” Invited workshop leader for the Roseville Public School System, MN (August 14, 2006).
- “Avoiding Learner Overload: Senses, Filters, Memory & Techniques.” Invited workshop leader for the Career College Libraries of Minnesota (May 12, 2006).
- “Avoiding Learner Overload: Senses, Filters, Memory & Techniques.” Invited workshop leader for Minnesota Opportunities for Technical Services Excellence (MOTSE), a state-wide continuing education program for library technical services (May 10, 2006).
- “Active Learning & Instruction.” Invited full-day workshop leader for Winona State University library staff (December 20, 2004).
- “Active Learning Methods.” Invited speaker for the Reference Services Symposium hosted by the University of Minnesota and MINTEX (May 24, 2004). With Jan Roseen.
- “Instructional Design.” Invited guest lecturer for LIS 316, a distance learning graduate library class through the University of Illinois (February 19, 2003).
- "The Information Literacy Toolkit: Fostering Critical Research Skills in the Online Learning Environment." Co-speaker for LOEX 2002 (May 10, 2002). With John Butler.
- "Take a Ride on the Design Cycle: Instructional Design for Librarians." Speaker for LOEX 2002 (May 11, 2002).
- “There's a Method to the Madness: Choosing Effective Teaching Methods That Will Add Zest to Your Teaching,” Invited workshop co-leader for the Minnesota Library Association (October 11, 2001). With Jan Roseen.
- “Take a Ride on the Design Cycle: Avoiding the Potholes of Instructional Design,” Invited workshop co-leader for a symposium for paraprofessionals and support staff called "Enhancing Quality Staff in Changing Times," in the Twin Cities (May 1, 2001). With Jan Roseen.
- "Herding Fish and Corralling Cats: Aligning Information Literacy Programs for Success," Panel program for the Association of American College & Research Libraries Conference (March 16, 2001). With Lisa Janeke Hinchliffe and Celia Rabinowitz.
- "Developing an Information Literacy Program." Invited Pre-conference for the Minnesota Library Association Annual Conference in Duluth, Minnesota (September 29, 1999). With Tom Eland.
- "Just How Literate Are You? Exploring Information Literacy & Libraries.” Invited workshop for a symposium for paraprofessionals and support staff called, "Enhancing Quality Staff in Changing Times," in the Twin Cities (May 11, 1999). With Susan Hoffman.
- "Teaching an Information Literacy Curriculum from a Distance." Presentation for the Minnesota Library Association's Research Libraries Conference (April 23, 1999). With Tom Eland.
User-Centered Design: Various workshops and presentations
- “Digital Reference & Usability: The Perfect Partnership.” Invited presenter for an American Library Association Preconference in New Orleans (June 23, 2006).
- “Build it Right: User-Centered Design for Library Web Sites.” Invited workshop leader for a New Jersey Library Association Annual Meeting Preconference (April 24, 2006).
- “Usability from Start to Finish: A 30 Minute Demo.” Co-presenter for Minnesota Library Association Annual Meeting. With Shane Nackerud (September 22, 2005).
- “The User Perspective on Reinvented Reference.” Invited presenter for an American Library Association Preconference in Chicago (June 24, 2005).
- “Increasing Student Success with your Web Site,” Invited full day workshop leader for the University of Western Washington (April 22, 2005).
- “Usability: Designing for User Success.” Invited presenter for an Association of Research Libraries Webcast delivered to 72 library sites (October 28, 2004).
- “Increasing Student Success with Your Web Site.” Invited full day workshop leader for the University of Louisville (October 11, 2002).
- “User-Centered Design for Libraries,” Invited workshop leader for two full day sessions for the University of California - California Digital Library in northern and southern California (November 5 and 7, 2001).
- “Build it Right: User-Centered Design for Library Sites,” Invited workshop leader for two full day sessions for the Rochester, NY Regional Library Council (August 8 and 10, 2001).
- “Increasing Student Success with your Web Site," Invited workshop leader for full day preconference for WILSWorld 2001 in Madison, WI (July 25, 2001).
- “Testing...1...2...3: Can Your Web Page Pass?” Invited speaker for the Special Libraries Association Annual Meeting in San Antonio (June 12, 2001).
- “Web Site Usability,” Invited speaker for Illinois Association of College & Research Libraries 2001 in Wheaton, IL (May 11, 2001).
- "Building User-Centered Library Web Sites on a Shoestring" Invited plenary speaker for WILSWorld 2000 in Madison, WI (July 25, 2000).
- "People Count: User-Centered Interface Design," Invited member of panel for American Library Association Conference in Chicago. With Kristen Garlock and Michael Prasse (July 9, 2000).
- "Workshop: Increasing Student Success with your Website," Full day workshop for computing and library staff at Carthage College and University of Wisconsin at Parkside (June 5, 2000).
- "Increasing Student Success with your Website," Invited presentation for the 2000 Wisconsin Association of Academic Librarians Conference (April 12-14, 2000).
- "Build it Right: User-Centered Design for Online Tutorials & Library Home Pages," Invited session for WILSWorld 1999 Conference in Madison, Wisconsin (June 7, 1999).
- "The User is the Expert: Experiences at Three Universities Using Usability Studies to Inform Gateway and Tutorial Web Designs," Panel Program at the Association of American College & Research Libraries Conference (April 9, 1999). With Ruth Dickstein & Abigail Loomis.
Working Effectively with Undergraduate Students: Various workshops and presentations
- “Defining Library Services for Undergraduates.” A one-hour presentation as part of a larger program called “Millennials, Gen Y, Echo Boomers, Net Gen: Keeping Up With the Kids” for Minnesota Library Association Annual Conference (September 27, 2006). With Melissa Kalpin Prescott.
- “Know Thy User for They Are Not You: GenY’ers and Emotional Branding” Co-speaker for LOEX 2003 (May 8, 2003). With Melissa Kalpin.
Assessment and Process Improvement: Various workshops and presentations
- "Making a Difference in Libraries: The Big Picture on Library Assessment". Invited half-day workshop leader for the Training Institute for Early Career Librarians from Traditionally Underrepresented Groups (October 19, 2004).
- "Making a Difference in Libraries: The Big Picture on Library Assessment". Invited half-day workshop leader for the Training Institute for Early Career Librarians from Traditionally Underrepresented Groups (October 1, 2002).
- “Making a Difference in Libraries,” Invited presentation for the Wisconsin Library Association Annual Conference (October 24, 2001).
- “Making a Difference in Libraries: The Big Picture on Library Assessment,” Keynote speaker for Illinois Association of College & Research Libraries 2001 in Wheaton, IL (May 11, 2001).
- "Focusing Library Services through Feedback and Follow Up," Invited session for the Minnesota Library Association Annual Conference in Duluth, Minnesota (September 30, 1999).
- "Data Driven Decisions: Using Data to Inform Process Changes in Libraries," Paper presented for the Library Research Round Table at the American Library Association Annual Conference (June 28, 1998).
- "The Results Are In: Interlibrary Loan at the University of Arizona," Poster Session at the American Library Association's Annual Conference (June 1997).
- "Process Improvement in ILL at the University of Arizona," Invited paper at the American Research Libraries Forum on Managing ILL/DD Operations, American Library Association Annual Conference (July 5, 1996). With Linda Dols.
- "A Process Improvement Approach to Interlibrary Loan: After the First Year," Paper presented at the University of Arizona Library's Living the Future Conference (May 2, 1996). With Linda Dols, Karen Newsome & Virginia Valenzuala.
- "A Process Improvement Approach to Interlibrary Loan," Paper presented at the Arizona Library Association's Annual Conference (November 1995). With Linda Dols & Karen Newsome.
- Coordinated and delivered an online symposium for the American Library Association's Learning Round Table with OCLC's Webjunction. See archives. Nearly 400 individuals registered and 157 logged in live. (Fall 2015 - Winter 2016).
- Chair of the Communications Committee of the American Library Association’s Learning Round Table, a national learning and development organization. (2014 – present).
- Secretary of the American Library Association’s Learning Round Table, a national learning and development organization. (2012 – 2014).
- External Review Panel for accreditation of the Florida State University’s School of Library & Information Studies (2012) and Southern Connecticut State University’s Department of Information and Library Science (2002 - 2003).
- Member of the new state-wide Minnesota Futures Initiative Steering Committee. Reviewed 85 candidates for the futures program, led a sub-group that designed the first state-wide meeting with selected “Futurists” and others from the state; included identifying and lining up two national speakers, a facilitator, and training for the Futurists (2010 – 2012).
- External reviewer for librarians going through promotion at Penn State, University of Illinois, Arizona State University, University of Kansas, Rutgers University, University of Arizona (2003 - Present).
- Consultant for Capella University Library –- Consulted with Director and provided two half-day sessions to launch their web redesign project. Co-developed and led with Shane Nackerud (2008).
- Chair of the Conference Planning Committee for the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Annual Conference (2006 –2007).
- Chair of the Instruction Librarians Group for the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (2005 –2007).
- Member of the Association of Research Libraries Task Force, Learning Roles in Enhanced Environments for Teaching and Learning (2006).
- Member of the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Grant Advisory Group (2001 –2003). [Reporting to Executive Director of the Association of College and Research Libraries]
- Member of the Information Literacy Advisory Committee (2000 –2002). [Reporting to the Executive Director of the Association of College & Research Libraries]
University of Minnesota
- Member of the Engagement Survey Action Planning Committee, through the Office of Human Resources. Contributed to the creation of action planning resources for use by supervisors at the university. (2013)
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Project and Change Management Collaborators (PCMC), a peer network that supports University staff taking a project and change management approach to their work. Initiated and lead the PCMC book clubs,co-initiated and lead the PCMC Circles program, and initiated and organized several events (2011 – 2014).
- Co-initiator and co-leader of the Consultation Collaborative, a group of about 14 individuals from offices around campus who consult with faculty. (2009 - 2011).
- Representative to the Technology Enhanced Council (TEL) Council reporting to the VP for Instructional Technology and the CIO (2008 –2011). Presented frequent University Libraries updates.
- Member of the Writing Initiative Advisory Board for the Graduate School. Met multiple times with subcommittee to develop an Individualized Writing Plan (IWP). Wrote and led discussion of a proposal for an online tool to support the IWP. Co-developed and proposed the Graduate Commons. (2008 – 2009).
- Member of the SMART Commons Advisory Committee (2006 – 2008). Provided leadership for the SMART Learning Commons webpage redesign project. Member of SMART search committee for Individual Learning Services Coordinator.
- Facilitator of a half-day workshop to orient TA’s to the University through the Center for Teaching & Learning Services (2001, 2004, 2007, 2008).
- Member of a campus-wide writing group convened by Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education (2005 –2007).
- Member of the College of Liberal Arts InfoTech Fees Committee (2004 –2006).
- Member of the Council for Enhancing Student Learning (2003 –2005).
- Lead for the creation of the Dissertation Calculator with campus partners (2003-2004).
- Member of the Great Service Network (2002 –2003).
- Member of the Best Practices Group of the Great Service Initiative (2002 - 2003). Interviewed ~10 University staff across campus about their service initiatives.
- Ex-Officio member of the Twin Cities Learning Assessment Council (2002 –2003).
- Developer and organizer of the first campus-wide Instructional Development & Production Support Staff Summit (September 27, 1999).
- Member of the University's Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL)/Distance Education's Web Redesign Committee (January 1999 - September 1999).
- Member of the University's Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL)/Distance Education Operations Team (1998 - 1999).
- Member of the Minnesota Virtual University's Faculty and Staff Training and Development Team (1998 - 1999).
University of Minnesota Libraries
- Chair of the 2012-13 Libraries Standing Peer Review Committee which recommends promotion (equivalent to tenure) for librarians. Also served and frequently chaired reappointment committees in other years (2017, 2016, 2014, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2005, and 2004).
- Staff engagement lead for the Libraries’ Staff Website & Document Management project (2013-2014)
- Core member of the Libraries’ Website Redesign Group charged with redesigning the Libraries website over a three month period. Led usability evaluations and analysis for the site that included five rounds of testing with 36 users and three surveys with 494 responses in total. Experimented with a new usability survey tool called “Usabilla.” The redesign sparked a 56% increase in page hits to the website and a 5.8% increase in use of licensed databases (Summer 2010).
- Member of the Libraries’ Web Services Steering Committee charged with providing vision and leadership in the development of library web-based services, tools, infrastructure, and production. Proposed and shaped the idea of “exploratory groups” and was primary author and contact for Course Integration Exploratory Group. (2007 – 2010).
- Member of the Portal Group charged with designing myU Portal views for library information and reimagining library access (2007 – 2009).
- Member of the Primo Steering Committee working on a development partnership project with ExLibris, a library software company. Lead on usability evaluations. Identified and tracked implementation-related tasks. Developed help pages as part of sub-group (2006 –2008).
- Member of the Communication Advisory Committee to advise the Libraries on brand identity and communications strategies (2004 –2008).
- Led Aleph communication efforts for external audiences. Aleph is a state-wide enterprise system for libraries (2001 - 2002). Led Aleph interface usability process (2001 - 2002).
Honors and Awards
- Association of College & Research Libraries granted an article I co-authored in the 1990’s as one of seven “landmark” articles from their journal’s history. The article was included in a special issue published in March 2015.
- Promoted to Librarian. This is the faculty equivalent of promotion to Professor (2009).
- Selected for participation in the University of Minnesota's Transformation Leadership Program, an 18-month cohort program with a three-week training and experiential components. Member of first cohort (2005-2007).
- Promoted to Associate Librarian. This is the faculty equivalent of promotion to Associate Professor (2004).
- Selected for participation in the University of Minnesota President's Emerging Leaders Program, a 12-month cohort program with both educational and experiential components. Member of first cohort (2002-2003).
- Selected for participation in the Association of College & Research Libraries Institute for Information Literacy Immersion ’99, a highly intensive training and education institute. Member of first cohort (July 1999).
- Selected for participation in the Wakonse Conference on College Teaching for excellence and commitment to teaching as one of twenty University of Arizona Faculty members to participate in a state-wide retreat (May 1996).
Updated September 2016