recipe by Vegetable Matter
Tofu with Swiss Chard, Kale and Yogurt Sauce
3/4 lb extra-firm tofu
2 cups jasmine rice
1 red pepper
1 lb Swiss chard, stems removed and choped
1 lb Lacinato kale, stems removed and chopped
2 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Greek-style non-fat or low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup tahini
3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs olive oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 Tbs flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Cook rice.
- Place tofu between several sheets of paper towel, then place a plate on top, and weigh the place down with something heavy. Leave for about 15 minutes for water to drain out, then remove paper towels and cut tofu into 1" cubes.
- Heat peanut oil over medium high heat, then fry tofu until golden brown. Flip and repeat. When cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- Roast the red pepper over a gas flame or in the oven under the broiler until it is charred all over. Place in a bowl and cover for 10 minutes. Remove as much skin as possible, seed, then cut into small pieces.
- Heat 2 Tbs olive oil over moderate heat, then add two of the minced garlic cloves. Cook about 1 minute, then add chard and kale and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add red pepper and cook another minute or two. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine yogurt, tahini, lemon juice and 3 minced garlic cloves. Season with sea salt, then set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbs olive oil over medium heat, then add crushed red pepper and cook until it begins to sizzle, about 10 seconds. Remove immediately from heat and, when cool, combine with yogurt sauce.
- Toss cooked greens with tofu, then serve on a bed of rice. Add dollup of yogurt sauce on top, and serve with more on the side.