recipe by Vegetable Matter
6 cups peaches, sliced3 Tbs unbleached A.P. flour
1/3 cup sugar1/8 tsp cinnamon pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup unbleached A.P. flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs baking powder
2 Tbs sugar (plus more to sprinkle on top)
4 Tbs unsalted butter, cubed and kept cold
1 cup heavy cream sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 for convection oven, or 375 for regular
- Combine all the filling ingredients, mix well, and put into 8" pyrex
baking dish. Or, use individual ramekins to make individual cobblers
(these are perfect for dinner parties if you're so inclined).
- Make topping. First, combine all dry ingredients. Then cut in the
butter to resemble coarse meal using your fingers or a fork.
- Add cream and mix until uniformly moist. Spoon out on top of
filling. It should be plopped on in clumps. You don't want a perfectly
smooth topping. Sprinkle the biscuit generously with granulated sugar.
- Bake in oven until top is golden brown, about 40 minutes. If you
used a glass pyrex, you will also see the fruit bubbling.
- Serve warm topped with clotted cream, whipped cream or ice cream.
- Leftovers refrigerate and re-heat well.