We are an organization of social studies specialists, college educators, museum professionals, social studies education non-profit professionals, and representatives from the Virginia Department of Education. We represent all regions of Virginia. Our purposes are:
- To provide improvement of social studies education in the Commonwealth through the collective efforts of individuals with assigned leadership responsibilities;
- To promote a free flow of ideas among social studies educators in supervision, curriculum development, teacher education, museum education, and the State Department of Education;
- To initiate a direct channel of communication among Virginia social studies educators and the National Council for the Social Studies, State Board of Education, legislative bodies, civic agencies, and community leaders;
- To promote instructional and curriculum improvements in social studies education;
- To foster a positive image of social studies educators as trained professionals whose primary concern is the best education possible for the students of the state
- To seek solutions to needs in social studies education.
Please contact Virginia Social Studies Leaders Consortium (VSSLC) President Ellen Stick at firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the membership process.
Please register to attend the Virginia Council for Social Studies Conference October 16 & 17, 2015.