What do I need to make on the exam?

Well, there’s a short way and a long way to figure that out.


For starters, you need 3 pieces of information: (Joe’s grades in bold)

1) The grade you desire for the semester

(Joe wants an 80)

2) Your 1st quarter grade

(Joe made an 82)

3) Your likely 2nd quarter grade

(Joe made a 75)

The average of the 2 quarters is 80% of the semester grade, and the final exam is the other 20%.

The short way:

If you use algebra to solve for the exam grade, it’s a kind of long process that ends up at this (trust me):

What you need to make on the final = 5(desired semester grade) – 2(1st quarter grade) – 2(2nd quarter grade)

For Joe:

What he needs to make on the final = 5(80) – 2(82) – 2(75)

What he needs to make on the final = 400 – 164 – 150

What he needs to make on the final = 86

The long way (Joe’s grades under each step):

1. Average your 2 nine weeks grades. [ {(1st Quarter Grade) + (2nd Quarter Grade)} ÷ 2]

· 82+75 = 157; 157 ÷ 2 = 78.5

2. Multiply this average by 0.8

· 78.5 x 0.8 = 62.8

3. Subtract this number from your desired FINAL SEMESTER GRADE

· He wants an 80. 80 – 62.8 = 17.2

4. Multiply this number by 5. The answer is the grade you need to make on the final exam.

· 17.2 x 5 = 86. You need to make at least an 86 on the final