1277 Cox Road | Rydal, PA 19046
- Adjunct Professor/Course Developer Mansfield U. School Library & Information Technology Program (2012--)
- Teacher-Librarian, Springfield Township
High School (1998-present)
Blog (School Library Journal) 2007-present
column, Philadelphia Inquirer 1996-2006.
- Teacher-Librarian, Wissahickon School District, 1988-1998
speaker on issues relating to libraries, technology and education
Gale Cengage, ABC-CLIO, Grolier, Schlessinger Media, ProQuest
- Former adjunct
instructor Mansfield University Distance Learning Masters for School
Library Information Specialists (on leave), Chestnut Hill College
Manager, Children's and Adult Services, Free Library of Philadelphia
Services Librarian, Franklin Institute (1976-1977)
Blog, School Library
Journal, June 2007--
- Philadelphia Inquirer techlife@school
Best Animation Tools. (with Jennifer Stern) School Library Journal. Jun. 2011.
- Valenza, J.K.
(2011) In My Network Confession . . . VOYA. Oct. http://www.voya.com/2011/09/12/tag-team-tech-october-2011/
- Tag Team Tech: My Perpetual Pursuit of a Pathfinder Platform. eVOYA, April 2011
Opening the Gates: On Celebrating Creative Commons and Flexing the Fair
Use Muscle. Library Media Connection.
Jan./Feb. 2011. 30-31 & 50.
- Tag Team Tech: Manifesto for 21st Century School Librarians. eVOYA, Oct. 2010
- Tag Team Tech: Evolving the Virtual School Library, Deconstructing the Essentials
, eVOYA, Apr. 2010.
- 15 Ways to Retool, Tech & Learning, 14 Dec. 2009.
- Things that Keep Us Up at Night (with Doug Johnson). School Library Journal, 1 Oct. 2009.
14 Ways K–12 Librarians Can Teach Social Media Tech & Learning, 21 Sept. 2009.
- High School Seniors and Social Networking, eVoya, Oct. 09
2.0 at AASL National
Conference in Charlotte. Knowledge Quest, May/June 2009,
A Letter to My Seniors, eVoya, April 2009, 6-8.
- Reading 2.0:
Getting the Gears to Work in Harmony. eVoya,
October 2008, 1-5
Camp." (with Doug Johnson), School Library Journal,
May 2008, 56-57.
and Information Spaces: On the Stickiness of Widgets." eVOYA, April 2008,
Few New New Things." LMC,
April/May 2008. 10-13.
Virtual Reference for Deaf Students." (with Vivian Cisneros, David
Scott, and Mary Jo Venetis) in Virtual Reference on a Budget: Case
Studies. Eds. Michael Pullin and Teresa Dalton. Columbus, OH: Linworth,
2.0." eVOYA, Oct. 2007,
the Door. Let 'em In." eVOYA,
April 2007. 1-3.
dumb not to use it. Virtual libraries, their influence on high school students’
information." In M. K.
Chelton and C. Cool. (Eds.) Youth Information Seeking
Lanham, MD: Scarecrow.
"They might be
gurus." e-VOYA, (April 2006), 1-4.
Searchers Go to School, Information Today, 2005
Leadership, December 2005, January 2006, 54-59
Students from Cheating and Plagiarism to Honesty and Integrity,
Lathrop and Foss, Libraries Unlimited, 2005
Tools Recharged, ALA Editions, June 2004
Power Research Tools,
ALA Editions, 2003
story Classroom Connect, April 2005, Find Your Path: Making Research
Easy with Virtual Libraries
story Classroom Connect, Dec/Jan
2003/2004 Anti-Plagiarism Campaign
10 Reasons to Hug Your School Librarian, Classroom Connect, May 2004
Skills for Students, Schlessinger
Media/Library Video Company, Fall 2004
Skills for Children, video series,
Schlessinger Media/Library Video Company 2003
Featured in School Library Journal cover
"Making Research Count," November 2002.
Cover story "What's Not on the Web," Learning
and Leading with Technology (ISTE)
School Librarians: A Field Guide to an
Evolving Species--Cover Classroom Connect April,
Technology Tag Team Column, VOYA
(Voice of Youth Advocates)
Database Column, Media and Methods
Editor and developer
Milken Educators' Web page
Reviewer and frequent contributor Technology
Connection, Book Report , Classroom
Connect, Multimedia Schools
, Chicago: ALA Editions, 1998.
"Transformational Impact of School Reform
and the Web." in The Evolving Virtual
Library II. Laverna Saunders, ed. Information Today, 1999.
Contributor. Skills for Life:
Information Literacy for Grades 9-12. Linworth, 1999
Internet Searching Skills,
video, Schlessinger Media, 1998 (1999 Film Advisory Board Award of
Excellence winner, 1999 Selected DVDs & Videos for Young Adults)
Contributor, Jacobson, Trudi. Critical
Thinking and the Web: Teaching Users to Evaluate Internet Resources. Pittsburgh:
Library Instruction, 2000.
BAM! Radio Career
Ready? What Your Teen Really Needs For What's Coming Next
- BAM! Radio Shocked,
Sad, Angry:Coping With School Tragedies, What Do We Do Now?
- ConnectedLearningTV/YALSA Webinar, Teens & the
Future of Libraries (May 28, 2013)
EdTechCrew Interview, August, 2011
- See Sally Research,TEDxPhillyED Presenter
(June 25, 2011)
- Still Confused? Copyright, Fair Use & Remix
Culture (With Renee Hobbs) LibraryLinkNJ (April 2011)
- Remarks at 15th Birthday of IPL, Drexel, March 2010
- Founder TLVirtual Cafe
- K12 Online Conference Keynote: The Wizard of Apps, December
- ISTE Eduverse Talks, Beyond the Dewey Decimal System, SecondLifeTV. Feb. 17, 2009
- Web 2.0 Tools for Learning, SIGMS lecture in Second Life, Oct. 2008
Revisited (Podcast by Bob Sprankle) (slideshare)
with Miguel Guhlin on Transparency and Brand NECC 2008
- Women of the Web:
On Libraries, (with Doug Johnson) Show #65, EdTechTalk, 2008
- SIGMS Forum, NECC 2008: Evidence that we are already meeting the standards
Coming of Age 2.0 chapter, (with Ken Rodoff), 2007
is the Most Important Part: VoiceThread Love-in,
Teachers Teaching Teachers, EdTechTalk, 2007
Fluency Meets Web 2.0 (with Ken Rodoff), NECC, Atlanta, 2007
for the 21st Century Librarian, NECC, Atlanta, 2007
with Terry Freedman about chapter in Coming of Age 2.0, NECC,
Materials in a 2.0 Landscape, IMSA, 2007
with Joyce Valenza, EdTechTalk, 2006
for Relevance in Learning, November Learning, 2007
CyberSmart: Research the Internet Wisely,
Associations and Awards
- Nominated 2013 BAMMY! Award in School Librarian category
- Edublogs Awards for Lifetime Achievement and Educational Hashtag. Finalist for Best Library Blog
- Whelan, D.L. Interview:
Rock Star Librarian, Joyce Valenza, Nabs Lifetime Achievement Award. School Library Journal, Dec. 19.
Presenter (June 25, 2011)
- Nominated for nine 2010 Edublog Awards including Lifetime Achievement
Salem Press 2011 Best Library
Blog Award: Commercial (June 2011)
- 10 Influential
People in Online Education (June 7, 2011)
- 100@30 Technology and Learning (cover)
- Winner Edublogs Award, Best Library/Librarian Blog (Nominated also for best blog, best educational wiki and most influential post)
- Educators that Rock, FindingDulcinea, October, 2009.
- Google Teacher Academy, December 2009
- PSLA Outstanding Contributor, 2009.
Top 100 Librarian Tweeters (Best Colleges Online)
- Noted in 21st
Century Learning Environments White Paper, by the Partnership for 21st
100 Most Inspiring and Innovative Blogs for Educators (Online
- 100 Blogs Every New Teacher Should Read
- Top Fifty Librarian Bloggers (GetDegrees)
- Nominated 2008 Edublogs Award: Library/Librarians
- AASL Conference 09 Technology Committee Co-Chair
- ALA OITP Library Future Taskforce
2.0 Taskforce, Chair, 2008--
/ Highsmith Research Grant 2005
Search Blog,EduBlogs Award, 2005
Individual School Library Program of the Year Award 2005
College SLIS Alumna of the Year 2005
- IASL School Library Web
Page of the Year Award, 2001
Library Media SIG Officer, 2002--
- YALSA Spotlight, January, 2001
Who in School Librarianship (LION Website)
- Milken Family Foundation
National Educator Award, 1997/98
1998 Library of Congress
American Memory Fellow
1998 Fulbright Teachers Program to Japan
professional meetings for librarians, sponsored by LM_NET and AASL
Media Selection and Review Committee, PSLA
YALSA Technology Committee
chair YALSA Publishers' Liaison Committee
of the Future Award, judge, ALA
the Profession Committee, AASL
ALA, AASL, YALSA, PSLA, CMCLA
Doctorate in Information Science, University of North Texas 2007
in Applied Technology, Chestnut Hill College
Certification, Library K-12,Villanova University, 1992
Certification, Villanova University, 1988
in Library Science, Queens College, 1976
in English Literature, SUNY Binghamton, 1975
abroad University of Copenhagen, 1974
Art by Emily Valenza
Lessons, Workshops, Publications