Virginia Educational Research Association
October 22, 2018
Dr. Edith (Edie) Carter
Our deepest condolences extend to the family and friends with news on the recent passing of Dr. Edie Carter, from the Virginia Educational Research Association (VERA) Dr. Carter died on October 14, 2018 in Radford, VA at the age of 82 following a brief illness. She was the cornerstone of VERA and was enthusiastically involved in every facet of the yearly conference for nearly three decades. She was an active member of VERA and orchestrated the annual conference with skill and diplomacy for many years. She served organization in in many offices, including President. Dr. Carter was an Assistant Professor at Radford University and was also involved in her community playing viola in the local symphony.
Dr. Carter received her undergraduate education and a Masters degree at Appalachian University NC and her doctorate at Virginia Polytechnic and State University in Blacksburg, VA. She was involved in many academic activities which included conference presentations, panel and symposium discussions, committee posts, published articles and professional memberships. She also received many honors and awards that are a testament to her dedication and commitment to education. She was a long-time supporter of the New River Valley Friends of the Roanoke Symphony.
VERA is accepting contributions in Dr. Carter’s honor to be donated to the New River Valley Friends of the Roanoke Symphony. If any VERA member or friend wishes to contribute, please click this link: Dr. Carter Contributions
A Memorial Service was conducted at Blacksburg United Methodist Church at 2:00 p.m. on October 19, 2018. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the New River Valley Friends of the Roanoke Symphony, P.O. Box 242, Blacksburg, VA 24063.
VERA 2018 Conference Updates
To: VERA Presenters and Members of the Educational Community in Virginia
Date: 9 October 2018
Re: 2018 VERA Annual Conference
From: Executive Committee
We hope that you, friends and family weathered Hurricane Florence without major disruption. Cancelling the VERA Conference was a major disappointment to many. Nevertheless, we have created several options that will make it possible for presenters to share their collaborative and individual research in ways that will reach a wider audience. In addition, refunds will be provided in the manner described below.
Uploading Paper, Power Point and/or Video Presentation (please do this
after you receive an email inviting you to edit your page)
Procedures for uploading your Power Point, paper, and/or a brief video presentation to the online conference site are as follows:
- Each of the scheduled paper sessions will have a page in the online conference site. You will be notified that a Google Drive folder has been shared with you when that folder is made available. For sessions with multiple presenters/authors, the email will be sent to the first author only. (This email will include very detailed instructions.) First authors are asked to coordinate with their colleagues regarding the material(s) to be uploaded.
- You will have the ability to edit the contents of your Google Drive folder, which will be limited to uploading your material(s). Once you have uploaded your materials to the Google Drive folder, they will appear on the Google Site where you will see the title of the paper you planned to present, along with your name/affiliation on that page. These materials should include a Power Point presentation, and perhaps a copy of your paper; you may also include a brief video summarizing the paper if you wish.
- To upload files to the Google Drive folder, you will need a Gmail/Google-compatible email address. Some institutions use Gmail as the email provider (you'd know if your institution does that based on whether you have access to GoogleDocs and such now). If you need to get yourself such an email account, please send that new address to firstname.lastname@example.org when you have it. If not, you're all set.
- Uploading the Power Point presentation: If you have not used GoogleSlides to create your slides, your Power Point will be automatically converted into the GoogleSlides format when you upload them. This bears consideration as the more complex your slides, the greater the danger that the formatting will be changed by the conversion. So word of advice: simpler is better.
- Uploading a brief video: You may upload a video file (if you wish) along with your paper. Record that using the technology you prefer (e.g. a video file you create using your computer, or one made using the online instructional support platform you are using at your institution).
6. Questions: Please contact John R. Goss, III at email@example.com
Reimbursement for VERA Conference Registration Fee
VERA Treasurer, Kevin Struble, will reimburse those who registered for the conference as described below.
- If registration fees were paid through PayPal within the past 180 days of the reimbursement date, the registrant will be reimbursed $38.40 after deducting the PayPal processing fees. If registration fees were paid through PayPal prior to 180 days of the reimbursement date, the registrant will be reimbursed $37.20 after deducting the PayPal processing fees.
- Posting documents to the GoogleSite described above is not a condition for receiving reimbursement.
- If a check was mailed for registration, it was not and will not be cashed. The check(s) have been shredded.
- Questions: Please contact Kevin D. Struble at firstname.lastname@example.org
Wishing you all a productive 2018-19 academic year. We look forward to seeing you in 2019.
John R. Goss, III , President; Gail McEachron, Past-President; Glen Earthman, Vice-President and Conference Planning Co-Chair; Bridget Thomas , President-Elect and Outstanding Dissertation Committee Chair; Jodie Brinkmann, Secretary; Kevin D. Struble, Treasurer; David Mott, Historian; Tracy Walker; Research Committee Chair; Edie Carter, Conference Planning Co-Chair