Uttoxeter 1658

This fantastic map of Uttoxeter by Peter Lightfoot dates from 1658 although it is based upon an earlier map 0f 1629. The Market Place is clearly visible as is the conduit (an earlier version of the kiosk or Johnson memorial as it is commonly known). The Market Place also shows a market cross which was once reputed to have 24 steps. The modern map below shows how little the town layout has changed over 350 years