The Hilo Tea House

“Shoroan” the tea house in Liliuokalani Gardens, Hilo                       map

 

“Shoroan” (The Pine Ocean House) the Hilo tea house, is a gift from Sen Soshitsu XV, the 15th generation headmaster of the Urasenke School of Tea in Japan. It is a place specifically created for the transmission and the performing of the traditional tea ceremony.

1971   After the beginnings of Urasenke in Hawaii in 1951, the Hilo shibu evolved as the Hawaii Chado Kenkyu Kai (Hawaii Tea Ceremony Association).

1972   Completion and dedication of the first Tea House named Shoroan. The group is designated Hilo Shibu of the Urasenke School of Tea.


The eight tatami mat tea-room showing the tokonoma displaying the hanging scroll and the flower arrangement, and the sunken hearth with the kama (kettle).

The first Shoroan was brought from Japan and rebuilt in Liliuokalani Gardens. The garden was designed and installed by Mr. Kazuo Nakamura, a notable landscape architect from Japan with a long family history of garden builders in Kyoto. Many of the rock items were brought from Japan to create the tea house garden.

1994   The original Shoroan Tea House is destroyed by fire.

1997   The new Shoran and actual tea house, was built and dedicated on the Hilo Shibu 25th anniversary of its founding. The garden was designed and installed by Mr. Fred Nonaka, from Waimea, Island of Hawaii, a long time friend of Mr. Nakamura. Many of the rocks, walkways, and tsukubai (water basin) from the old tea house garden were relocated in the present one.



·