Operating System (Third year Information Technology, Savitribai Phule Pune University)
Year: III Semester: VI
In order to meet the ever increasing need of computers, networks and internet study of operating system is compulsory. Operating system is the interface between the user and the computer system. It is the first piece of software to run on a computer system when it is booted. Their job is to co-ordinate and provide services for the execution of application software. This is core technology subject and the knowledge of which is absolutely essential for Computer Engineers. It familiarizes the students with the concepts and functions of operating system. This subject provides knowledge to develop systems using advanced operating system concepts.
This subject gives overview of Linux and Android operating system as a case study. As the part of practical also the Linux operating system is included in the syllabus.Course Objectives :
1. To Introduce basic concepts and functions of modern operating systems
2. To Understand the concept of process, and thread management
3. To Understand how the resources are scheduled and managed
4. To Understand the concepts of process synchronization and deadlock
5. To know the concept of I/O and File management
6. To Understand various Memory management techniques
7. To be aware of latest trends in Operating Systems
Course Outcomes :
At the end of this course, students would be able to
1. Possess knowledge of the role of Operating Systems and their types.
2. Apply the concept of a process, thread and scheduling algorithms.
3. Apply the concepts of process synchronization and how it is achieved.
4. Realize the concept of deadlock and different ways to handle it.
5. Realize various memory management techniques.
6. Realize the concept of I/O management and File system
The prerequisite subjects for learning Operating System as given as-
- Fundamental of Data Structure
- Computer Organization
The syllabus contains following main topics-
Unit-I Operating System Overview
Unit-II Process Description and Control
Unit-III Concurrency: Mutual Exclusion and Synchronization
Unit-IV Memory Management
Unit-V I/O and Files
Unit-VI Recent and future trends in OS
This site is managed by,