Due date 16 Dec 2011
1) In high performance systems, memory must be designed to meet the demand of high performance processor cores. Describe how the use of i) caching and ii) memory interleaving contributes towards meeting the processor demand. iii) Compare low-order and high-order interleaving and its potential benefits. (5 marks)
2) Describe the segmented virtual memory model and explain how in that model a logical address specified in an instruction is translated into a physical address during instruction execution. (5marks)
3) Using an illustrative diagram, describe the organization and operation of a superscalar processor that employs shelved instruction issue. (5 marks).
4) Explain the concept of register renaming. Using an example instruction sequence, demonstrate that it solves the problem of anti-dependency. (5 marks)
5) Given that A, B and C are three arrays each of size 100,000 floating point numbers, compare the times is takes to complete the addition C=A+B using a) scalar arithmetic b) pipelined vector processing and c) spatial parallel processing (i.e. array processor concept). (5 marks)
6) Consider an array processor with 8 PEs. Compare two interconnection design options known as 2-D near-neighbour and hypercube respectively with regard to the parameters known as network diameter, throughput and probability of blocking. (5 marks)
Kindly let the class know that we will have the CAT on Wednesday at 2pm. Kindly use Tuesday for revision. The CAT will cover the four main modules that we have covered.
Kindly remind all the students that presentations for next week should be taken very seriously. We shall have the presentations at 3.45pm on Tuesday. Each group of 4 people shall have about 20 minutes of presentation which gives each person 5 minutes.
The presentations are in the second last slide of module 3 lecture notes pasted below.
it will be due on 24th november
Message Passing Application
Date Due: 11th Nov 2011
You are required to write a client server application that uses the
concept of sockets. The application should be able to:
The students are required to read and understand the paper and then write
a one page brief summary of the topic discussed therein.
The write-up is due on 3rd Nov,2011 during the class.
Download assignment here
There will be a forum on how to improve SCI and we need two nominees to go rep us send in your names and with a topic you want to be discussed.
Check Out this Book.