Shannon McClintock Miller, Van Meter Community School Teacher Librarian and Technology Coordinator
John Carver, Van Meter Community School Superintendent
Holly Baiotto, Van Meter 11th Grader
Maddy Darrah, Van Meter 8th Grader
Michael Kinley, Van Meter 8th Grader
Emma Durflinger, Van Meter 6th Grader
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER....
#vanmeter (Van Meter School)
#iowatl (Iowa Teacher Librarian)
#vanmeterbpchs (Shannon's PLN Class)
WAYS TO CREATE CHANGE THROUGH TECHNOLOGY:
- GOOGLE SITES to create a change and share information:
- Van Meter Library VOICE Google Site was created for the library to be HEARD through VOICE!
- Van Meter 1:1 Laptop Learning Initiative Google site contains several resources Van Meter has created to support our Think, Lead, & Serve philosophy and share with others.
- BLOGS to and connect, learn, and share with others:
- VM Library VOICE Blog has been great way to share and make valuable connections for students.
- Get the students blogging to create change & have them connect to their passions!
- BLOGGER MADDY DARRAH will share how she connected through VOICE to author Amy Efaw. Maddy created a YouTube Video about her connection. Her blog Dance Dance Dedicate.
- BLOGGER EMMA DURFLINGER will share how she has connected her classmates through book talks and other projects through her We Talk blog.
- BLOGGER HOLLY BAIOTTO will share how she is connecting with two other Iowa schools in Spanish class through her blog. They are also using a class wiki to connect with the other students.
- TWITTER: I can't say enough about the great change, connections, and resources that Twitter can bring to your school!
- Connect with others around the world! shannonmmiller (TweetDeck) #vanmeter (follow Van Meter)
- PLN Class at Van Meter making connections & creating change in their own education with Twitter. This year we are connecting with a catholic school in Philadelphia and public school in Boston, plus two other schools in Iowa, to make this course even better! Check out #vanmeterbpchs on Twitter to keep up with all of the amazing things are class will be doing.
- EVERY WEEK WE HAVE SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO ARE EXPERTS, CREATORS OF WEB 2.0 TOOLS AND OTHER ONLINE RESOURCES SKYPE INTO THE LIBRARY AND SCHOOL....
- Thanks to Twitter we have had lots of chances to SKYPE with people all over the world.
- Ruggero Domenichine, YouTellYou creator connected with me through Twitter. Read about Ruggero Domenichine creator of web 2.0 tool called YouTellYou! Michael and Maddy learned from Ruggero. And from Mark Moran about Sweet Search....
- Mark Moran, founder and CEO of findingDulcinea & Sweet Search, I met through Twitter. Mark has been an amazing source of change and education for the students and teachers at Van Meter. (This is a great blog post from findingDulcinea Blog to read more about this incredible resource: 8 Ways a Week: Using Dulcinea Media in the Classroom)
- Will from Juxio connected with our students in our PLN class and wrote this blog post showing their creations.
- DIIGO is one of my favorite resources! It is a social bookmarking site which lets me connect to our teachers and students through specific Lists and to others in Groups I belong to. You can visit my Diigo here.
- Van Meter Diigo Group is a great place to share resources with people who belong to your group. I share resources here everyday, along with sending out email blasts to the faculty and students.
- YOUTUBE is a wonderful way to share and connect. I have the vanmeterlibrarian YouTube channel where I share news from the library, school, and amazing student projects.
- Michael Kinley's YouTube Channel Mike398100
- StarPlow's YouTube Channel (Amazing book trailers that Morgan Johnson created!)
- Every Breath You Take...Student Remake for US History (Holly Baiotto and classmates) and find more on Amelia Beal's YouTube Channel .
- SKYPE is a valuable tool that needs to become part of your library and school! The resources and experts that you can bring into your library and students lives are limitless. Every week I Skype with several colleagues all over the world and connect our students to experts, authors, and others. Our students can also use Skype with their classmates and teachers. My Skype is shannonmcclintockmiller
- We created a student technology group called C.E.W.L. (Computer Efficiency Workers League) to help integrate technology and troubleshoot problems/questions students & teachers have.
- The C.E.W.L. group has a PREZI to show off the change C.E.W.L. is making!
- MICHAEL KINLEY has created a blog Mike's Tech News.
- HOLLY BAIOTTO is going to tell you about our Virtual Reality capability.
- Please contact us if you have questions about creating a change within your school too!