National Weather Service has issued a Heat Advisory for UNCW and
surrounding areas from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. today, Tuesday, July
24. Temperatures will climb into the upper 90s or higher this
afternoon. Combined with high humidity, these temps will produce heat
index values from 105 to 109 degrees. As these conditions are expected
to last for several days, caution is advised throughout the week. Excessive heat can be dangerous, with several days of it taking a cumulative toll on the body.
- Limit time outdoors
- Reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening hours
- Monitor yourself and others for signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke
- Wear light weight, loose fitting clothing
- Drink plenty of water
- Schedule frequent breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments if working outdoors in high heat
Anyone overcome by the heat should be immediately moved to a cool and shaded location. For more information about heat stress, visit http://uncw.edu/emergencyandsafety/heatstress.html. For more information, contact Environmental Health & Safety at (910) 962-3057.