Below are descriptions of tools UNCW may utilize during an emergency situation. The use of each of these tools will vary based on the nature, duration and severity of an emergency.
- Siren Blast: The Seahawk Siren System is an outdoor warning system consisting of two strategically-placed campus sirens. The system may be used when the majority of the UNCW community needs to shelter in place during an extreme emergency.
Act immediately when you hear the siren:
1. Seek shelter indoors. Close windows and doors
2. Seek information from UNCW sources of communication. Information will be posted to the UNCW Web site as soon as possible.
3. Wait for an “all clear” siren or message.
You may hear the tones at: http://www.uncw.edu/ba/safety/siren.html.
- Emergency Information Hotline:
Up-to-date information on a campus emergency can be accessed via hotline locally at 910.962. 3991 or toll free at 888.657.5751.
- Mass Email: The university may transmit simultaneous blast e-mails to all students, faculty and staff campus email boxes. During an emergency, it is vital that university community members monitor their e-mails for updates and instructions.
- UNCW Alert Emergency Information Website: Situation updates, instructions, emergency policies and related information will be maintained on this site during an emergency: www.uncw.edu/alert
- University Homepage: News updates and an emergency information banner may be added to the UNCW homepage in an emergency situation. In addition, emergency information may be posted to @UNCW and other appropriate university Web sites.
- Cable TV Interruption Message: All campus cable television channels may be commandeered for the purpose of alerting the campus community. Any alert message will be audible and in text form, and may direct viewers to other sources for up-to-date information.