To ensure that all student-athlete employment earnings are allowable under NCAA employment legislation.
NCAA Bylaws 12.4, 188.8.131.52, 15.2.7
Associate AD for Compliance
Assistant AD for Compliance
- Any student-athlete may work on or off campus.
- Student-athletes are educated about the NCAA and university rules regarding their potential employment and fee-for-lesson employment during the mandatory Student-Athlete Compliance meeting at the beginning of the academic year.
- Student-athletes must report employment to the Compliance Office immediately once they get a job, by turning in Employment Form A, which includes approval from his/her coach and academic counselor.
- This form can be printed from the UMASS Athletics compliance website under Current Student-Athletes; Employment.
- A copy is also distributed to all student-athletes at the compliance meetings at the beginning and end of each academic year.
- Additionally, at the end of each academic year, the Assistant AD for Compliance distributes a Continuing Eligibility Form that each student-athlete must complete that asks if he/she plans on working over the summer.
- The Compliance Assistant reviews these forms and ensures all student-athletes that plan on being employed over the summer have completed Employment Form A.
- Once the compliance office receives Employment Form A, the compliance assistant sends Employment Form B, an Employer Agreement, to the employer which outlines the NCAA rules regarding student-athlete employment and confirms the student-athletes employment.
- At the completion of the student-athlete’s employment Form C is sent by the compliance assistant to the employer to verify compliance to pertinent NCAA bylaws, specifically bylaws 12.4 and 15.2.7.
- Any student-athletes that offer fee-for-lesson services are required to complete the Student Athlete Fee-For-Lesson Form for each lesson provided, which can also be found on the UMass Athletics compliance website.
- This document must be immediately submitted to the Compliance Office, where the Compliance Assistant verifies compliance to NCAA bylaw 184.108.40.206 and keeps it on file for the duration of that year.
- All forms are monitored and held in the Student-Athlete Employment file by the compliance assistant through the academic year following the completion of the student-athlete’s employment.
- This monitoring system is to assure student-athletes are being paid for the work performed, and are paid the going rate for their experience in the job.
- It also ensures that no non-qualifiers are hired within the athletic department.
Employment Form A: Student-Athlete Employment Approval
Employment Form B: Employer Agreement
Employment Form C: Employment Verification
Student-Athlete Fee-for-Lesson Form
Continuing Eligibility Form