I make this every Christmas, in double or triple batches, and it always goes over really well. It isn't just a seasonal recipe though - I'm planning on making some for our Super Bowl party. The original recipe called for Shreddies, pecans & almonds, but I've added to that to make it a bit more interesting.
Spicy Nut Mix
3 cups Shreddies
1 cup pretzel sticks, broken in half
1 cup almonds, whole
1 cup pecans, whole or halves
1 cup peanuts or cashews
1 cup nut mix (store bought, or your favourite nut)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne
2 large egg whites
1. Mix together first 6 ingredients.
2. Mix together the sugar and spices.
3. Whisk the egg whites until foamy. Combine with the nut mix & stir until well coated.
4. Pour in the spiced sugar and mix until evenly coated.
5. Bake at 325F in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Stir every 10 minutes until the nut mix is no longer wet, about 30-40 minutes. Cool completely & store in an airtight container.