Travel Funding

Graduate students are encouraged to attend and present at regional and national conferences.  Below are a few of the resources for funding.   Please email Judy Watson with questions.

*  Travel funding is no longer done on a reimbursement basis.  All travel expenses must now be paid for using the Travel Procurement Card.  Please see the complete instructions below.  You will need to secure the procurement card BEFORE traveling.  No reimbursements will be made for anything paid with personal credit cards.

Instructions for Travel Procurement Cards

(detailed instructions can be found here)

Before you Travel:

  1. 1.IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CARD: Use this link (  In the box labeled “Forms,” you will need to click on, print and complete the “Purchasing Card Application” form and the “Purchasing Cardholder Agreement” form.  Bring these forms to Judy Watson.  After they are submitted it will take approximately 5 business days before we receive your card.  You will pick this up from the Sociology Office.  You will receive an email with your WORKS password for use after your trip.  DO NOT DELETE THIS EMAIL

  2. 2.IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A CARD: Send an e-mail to Judy Watson to request that the money be added to your card along with information about your conference (what the conference is, when it is, where it is, etc.)  The funds will then be put onto your card and will remain there until used or June 30. (whichever comes first).

During Travel:

While traveling, please use your travel card for everything you possibly can.  We have been warned by Procurement that they will be more strict in the new fiscal year when it comes to reimbursements.  They will not reimburse for reasons of “I didn’t have the card with me,” or “I couldn’t find my card.”  However, you still can be reimbursed for mileage when driving your personal auto or for tolls.  But for registrations, airfare, hotel, meals, etc., the card MUST be used.


Remember:  ALWAYS, ALWAYS get detailed receipts.  That means for meals, we need the receipt that shows what was ordered.

After you travel:

  1. 1.You will need to log on to WORKS with the password provided to you in the email to reconcile your expenses (check your receipts, label your expenses) and sign off on all your expenses.  In the comments section of each transaction please include any information about your transaction (i.e., what it is, where you went, when you went, etc.  If it is a meal or hotel room shared by others, please include the names of the others in this box).You will be reminded to do this via email.  Please do it as soon as possible after returning.

  2. 2.You will also receive a paper statement from Bank of America in your campus mailbox.  Verify your purchases.  Sign this statement and return it with all receipts to Judy Watson.

Online training and guides for using the procurement card and WORKS can be found at:

Funding Opportunities

Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice

Amount: Up to $500 per year

Restrictions:  Must be presenting/in the program

Instructions: See instructions above for procurement cards.  Remember to save receipts and email confirmations from the online system.

Office of Graduate Studies- Professional Development Award

Deadline: 1 month prior to travel

Amount: Up to $500 (department must match $300) per year

Restrictions: Must be presenting, one award per academic year, two per academic career


** If you decide to apply for this award, please carbon Judy Watson on your application. Also, as soon as you learn that you have received the award, let her know (with the exact amount awarded) so she can add it to your card. The Office of Graduate Studies does not add the funds to your card.

Women’s Studies Graduate Travel Award

Deadline: April 15

Amount: Up to $1000

Restrictions: Must be presenting on women’s and/or gender issues