posted Aug 28, 2010, 9:25 PM by Prashanth Mohan
Presenter - Selvam Velmurugan, founder of emoksha (http://emoksha.org/), worked as a software developer with Amazon.
Attendees: Aditya, Achintya, Chandrayee, Yasaswini, Rishikesh, Sreeram
skyped in, Tanusree, Gireeja, some non members. (Notes by Chandrayee)
Goal of talk - to find folks who might want to develop
“Kiirti” (http://www.kiirti.org/) for better voice access, regional
language transcription, spread words through networks.
Talk started with introduction to fixourcity (http://
www.fixourcity.org/), a website created for crowd sourcing in chennai,
with a target to smoothen the tedious and cumbersome process of
registering complaints with local municipalities, while there is no
guarantee of remedy. It uses a web based platform from UK, configured
- NGO takes ownership of complaints and track down to get it solved. Also meant to be used as a forum and share best practices Chennai corporation has an online complaint management system mainly internal workflow. It is not user friendly, no way to attach images, forms are long and demotivating.
- With initial ads in newspaper many users were using the site
initially, but now the use has plummeted. Technology is an enabler but
needs to reach out to people, people’s behavior in acceptance plays a
- Increased voice access can help senior citizens communicate better.
They are more enthusiastic.
- Kiirti is based on Ushahidi (http://www.ushahidi.com/). “Ushahidi,
which means "testimony" in Swahili, is a website that was initially
developed to map reports of violence in Kenya after the post-election
fallout at the beginning of 2008”.
- It provides a pre packaged solution to the NGOs with voice based
reporting option in 6 different languages, frontline sms, voice based
menu - IITKanpur.
- Mechanical turk from Amazon used for transcribing
- MOU with Karnataka state transportation authority - They will use
Kiirti as official channel.
- Kiirti Beta version available, used so far for environment support
group in Bangalore - for campaign management and Sahana - disaster
management, Janagraha, 5th Pillar are powered use Kiirti platform
- Cost of running Kiirti - web server, db server, $100 a month
- Future plans: More accessible to people through micro social
network for one site, Facebook page, complete voice access, business
plans like target top 25 corrupted countries where government might be
interested in investing such a platform for better crime management
- Scope of contribution: Development of the platform, popularizing,
business plans, future statistical analysis of data obtained from
sites. Contact: selvam [at] emoksha REMOVETHIS [dot] org