- President: Zach Newman
- Vice President: Brittany Lynn
- Treasurer: Bill Duncan
- Secretary: Christine Bradley
- Outreach: Kali Wilson, Ellie, Tyler, Jessica, Byron Cocilovo
- TVHH: Jonny Brand, Weibo
- Community Speakers: Brittany Lynn, Brian Wheelwright, Mike Butterfield
- Sports Friday: Siavosh (Matt), Tyler
- Media Officer: Blake Coughenour
- Social: Laura Coyle
- Web Design: TBD (Stefan, Tony)
Student Optics Chapter
College of Optical Sciences, University of Arizona
Constitution and Bylaws
Adopted August 21, 2007
The name of this organization shall be the "University of Arizona Student Optics Chapter."
The objective of this chapter shall be:
(1) to promote the disciplines of math and science, especially optical science and optical engineering, among the academic and local communities; (2) to serve as a means of communication and interaction between students, faculty, and administration; (3) to establish interaction between students and local sections and national headquarters of SPIE and the Optical Society of America (OSA), and (4) to broaden the students’ insight into post-graduate opportunities.
Any University of Arizona student with an interest in optical science and/or optical engineering is eligible to be an active member and may hold office. Non-students may not vote or hold office. There shall be no membership discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, marital status, religion, national origin, or age.
A quorum of four members shall be required for business to be transacted or elections held at any meeting.
A. Chapter Officers
1. All officers shall be full time students of University of Arizona and members of good standing of the chapter.
B. Nominations and Elections
1. The elected officers will be President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary, and committee chairs.
2. Nominations for the officers shall be conducted by email, following a request for officer nominations to the student chapter body.
3. Nominations will be open for two weeks at the end of the spring semester.
4. Elections will be held at the last regular meeting of the Spring semester. Voting must continue until a candidate wins by majority of members present. If no majority is obtained, the candidate with the fewest number of votes will be eliminated and voting will continue.
5. In case of a vacant office, a special election will be held at the next regular meeting.
C. Term of Office
1. The term of all officers shall begin at the completion of the election.
D. Removal From Office
1. An elected officer can be removed from office for misconduct or failure to perform the duties of his/her office.
2. Removal must be approved by a two-thirds vote of the members present, after the charges have been openly preferred against the officer by a member of the chapter one meeting prior to the meeting at which the removal vote is to be taken.
E. Duties of Officers
1. President — To run meetings in an orderly fashion, to make necessary decisions, and to represent the chapter.
2. Vice President — To assist the President and to serve in his/her absence.
3. Treasurer — To be responsible for the financial obligations to the chapter, and to distribute funds accordingly.
4. Secretary — To record minutes of all chapter meetings and to be responsible for all correspondence of the chapter. Responsible for submitting annual reports to the national headquarters.