A gem of medieval history in the heart of mid Wales

 




Ty Mawr - Great House

 

 

 

Accidentally discovered in 1971 by Peter Smith and Cecil Vaughan Owen whilst exploring Montgomeryshire half timbered houses this fine example of a medieval aisled hall dates from 1460, just before Edward, Duke of York seized the crown from Henry VI . A  year before the battle of Towton, the largest battle ever fought on English soil.  


The year the Earl of Warwick ordered Lord Grey to surrender Montgomery castle. We do not know if the owner fought in the battle but he must have been a man of standing in the locality to have built a house called Ty Mawr (Great House) and he must have been aware of the power struggle between the nobles and magnates that we call the War of the Roses, which forms the political backdrop to its building.


Ty Mawr in the township of Trefnant, Castle Caereinion,Montgomeryshire was a house of quality, built and occupied by a family of wealth and distinction. Descended from the Alo ap Rhiwallon family (who had settled there in the 13th C) the Lloyd family where the principle landowners at the time it was built. 


Extensive restoration work was undertaken by the Powis Estate with grant aid from CADW: Welsh Historic Monuments.


 The building was rescued from imminent collapse, and appears now much as it would have done in about 1635. It is now a 'Scheduled Ancient Monument', and in 2000, the house was given the outstanding honour of the 'Building of the Year' award by the RICS .


Restored under the auspices of Cadw and the Powis estates the house is now open for visitors.





 



                                                                                                                                     www.historymattersonline.com  

 

Subpages (1): Brief History