Greased 8.5x11 Baking pan:
5 red, yellow, orange peppers, cut in half and seasoned with salt and pepper
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into one inch pieces
2 ribs of celery, cut into one inch pieces
1 medium sized zucchini, cut into one inch pieces
1 leek, cut into one inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 slices of regular white bread or gluten free bread
1/2 cup milk or half-n-half or almond milk (plain) or coconut milk or half water/half cream
1 large egg
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese
1 lb. ground turkey or beef
1/3 cup white wine
2 tablespoons clarified butter or oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray your baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and place your seasoned peppers, cut side up.
3. In a small bowl, add your bread and milk and let it soak for 15 minutes. As the bread softens, use your hand to break up the bread into small pieces.
4. Add all veggies and spices to your food processor, pulse until well mixed.
5. Heat a saute pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil/clarified butter. Once hot, add your vegetable mixture. Cook for 5 minutes until hot and then add wine. Cook mixture for a few more minutes or until the wine is fully absorbed into the mixture. Remove from heat and let cool.
6. In the large bowl with the egg, turkey and cheese, add the cooled veggie mixture, and soaked white bread. Use your hand to mix well.
7. Fill each pepper with turkey mixture. Sprinkle tops with a little more cheese and drizzle with olive oil. I also sprinkled with salt and pepper.
8. Bake for 50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
9. Serve! Great as leftovers.
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis