2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
1 chopped Granny Smith apple
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup non sweetened applesauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
Pinch of all spice
Cinnamon Crunch Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 T cold butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tins or use paper liners.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. In a different bowl whisk together the wet ingredients until well combined.
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix slowly. Be gentle with the mix:)
5. Add in the rhubarb and apple. Mix gently.
6. Make the cinnamon crunch topping. Mix all of the ingredients, except the additional cinnamon and sugar, in a small bowl. I use my hands. You want it to be a crumbly mixture.
7. Divide the muffin mixture into muffin tins. I did regular and mini muffins. I got 12 regular muffins and about 20 little ones.
8. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the muffins. Add additional cinnamon/sugar if you wish. I suggest you do!
9. Bake for about 20 minutes. The little ones will be done sooner. Just watch them and do the toothpick test!
10. Cool and enjoy. They are best eaten the day you bake them.