Penne pasta-cook until al dente, drain and set aside
Crushed red pepper
Roasted peppers-I used red and yellow-we had some in the freezer
Italian sausage-I used leftover grilled Colosimo's sausage, just cut it into chunks
Marinara sauce-I used my homemade sauce, but you can use store bought
1. Spray baking dish with cooking spray. I used 2 individual dishes. You can use a big one for a large group. Spread marinara sauce on the bottom of the dishes.
2. In a skillet, heat olive oil. Add in onion, garlic, fennel seed, crushed red pepper, basil, and roasted peppers. Cook until tender.
3. Add in sausage chunks. Cook for a couple of minutes.
4. In a bowl, mix pasta with marinara sauce. Add in the pepper/sausage mixture.
5. Divide pasta evenly in dishes, or put all of it in one big dish.
6. Drop spoonfuls of ricotta cheese into the pasta dishes. Make sure to mix it a little bit. You want it to be in with the pasta/sauce mixture.
7. Sprinkle with mozzerella cheese and mix a little bit.
8. Cover the top of the pasta with more mozzerella and fresh basil.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until bubbly.