posted Jul 28, 2010, 10:02 AM by Kim Burdett
updated Aug 17, 2011, 10:05 AM
The Band Calendar 101
We started a google calendar last winter, but are now ready to take it to another level.
You have 2 options with the calendar:
1) Go to the band website:
- From here you can click on "Calendar" in the left column and see a list of events in agenda
view by default.
- In the upper right of the calendar is a tab to change to weekly or monthly view.
- There is also a print option in the upper right that opens up options for printing from your current viewing format.
- In the upper left are options for moving through dates on the calendar.
- The event color coding is currently as follows:
- Green: Percussion only
- Red: Guard only
- Blue: Involves some or all of the full band (most will be full, unless labeled student leaders, etc.)
- Clicking on an event will give you further details, if any are needed.
- Many events will just be rehearsals and clicking will only give you times.
- On occasion if specific clothing is required, or some other special detail needs noted it will be listed under the description here.
- There is an option to hit "copy to my calendar". Don't hit that, it just does it by event...instead, if you want to use google calendar for your family use the next set of information!
2) Start a Google Calendar for your family and we can link our info directly to you! It's really easy to use and you can even set up separate "calendars" within it for each family member, activity, etc.
- Go to www.google.com/calendar
- On the right is an option to create an account
- Fill in the information to start the calendar.
- You do not need a gmail.com account to use this, but I love their email server!
- Once you have a calendar, send me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org that you want to link our calendar.
- In the message tell me what email you used to start your google calendar.
- From there, I type in your email to share from the band account, and....
- TA-DA!!!! You know all get all of our calendar information automatically added to your calendar. If we change a time, add an event, etc. your calendar updates automatically!!!
- Additionally, if you have any kind of Android phone linked to google calendar, we can also link you through that device.
If you have questions on any of this, I'd be happy to help you!! I've already told several people I'll help them set up a calendar for their family. If you know me, you know my schedule traveling to teach and work is hectic, and google calendar keeps my world in order!