Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook Time: 24 mins | Total Time: 49 mins
chicken is enhanced with a spicy sweet and lightly tangy sauce. The
flavor can be further enriched by using Smokin-O's during the
grilling process or adding liquid smoke to the sauce. Bone-in, skin-on
chicken is recommended for best flavor and overall outcome. If using
boneless, skinless chicken cook at a lower heat setting and watch
carefully to avoid overcooking.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup prepared yellow mustard
- ½ - 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional – do not use if using Smokin-O’s for grilling)
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or chicken legs or a combination of chicken pieces
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 Smokin-O’s rings
- Preheat gas or infrared grill on high.
a small mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together the brown sugar and
mustard. The mixture will be the texture of thick honey. Stir in the
liquid smoke and the chipotle chile powder or cayenne, if using. Set
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Place on a large,
rimmed baking sheet. Brush or rub chicken pieces with olive oil.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place Smokin-O’s rings on grill
grate, close lid and allow the rings to come to a smolder. If they catch
on fire, simply lift the rings from the fire with tongs and blow them
out, then place back on grill grate.
- Place chicken on grill,
skin side down; close lid. Lower heat to medium (325° F - 350° F). Cook
chicken for 5-7 minutes, depending on thickness of chicken pieces. Using
an appropriate grilling utensil, turn chicken over (skin side up) and
grill for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Using a spoon, spread some of the Brown Sugar and Mustard Sauce over each chicken piece. Since
this sauce is thick, it is easier to spread with the back of a spoon
than it is to try and spread it around with a basting brush. Turn
chicken over on grill (skin side down) and spread with sauce on the
skinless side. Close grill lid and cook chicken for 5 minutes. Lift lid,
turn chicken over (skin side up). Close lid and continue to cook for an
additional 5-7 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 170° F as
measured on an accurate food thermometer. Serve right away with sides as
Copyright 2015 by tsgcookin.com