I received my PhD in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from MIT in 2009. The main focus of my PhD work was in acoustic modeling for noise robust speech recognition. After my PhD, I spent 5 years at the Speech and Language Algorithms group at IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, before joining Google Research. I have co-organized a special session on Sparse Representations at Interspeech 2010 in Japan. I have also organized a special session on Deep Learning at ICML 2013 in Atlanta. In addition, I am a staff reporter for the IEEE Speech and Language Processing Technical Committee (SLTC) Newsletter. My research interests are mainly in acoustic modeling, including deep neural networks, sparse representations and adaptation methods.
- Talks on Deep Learning at WiSSAP Winter School on Speech and Audio Processing, January 2014.
- T. N. Sainath, R. J. Weiss, K. W. Wilson, B. Li, A. Narayanan, E. Variani, M. Bacchiani, I. Shafran, A. Senior, K. Chin, A. Misra and C. Kim "Multichannel Signal Processing with Deep Neural Networks for Automatic Speech Recognition," to appear in IEEE Transactions on Speech and Language Processing, 2017.
- T. N. Sainath, R. J. Weiss, K. W. Wilson, B. Li, A. Narayanan, E. Variani, M. Bacchiani, I. Shafran, A. Senior, K. Chin, A. Misra and C. Kim "Raw Multichannel Processing Using Deep Neural Networks," chapter in New Era for Robust Speech Recognitino: Exploiting Deep Learning, 2017.
- R. Zazo, T. N. Sainath, G. Simko and C. Parada, "Feature Learning with Raw-Waveform CLDNNs for Voice Activity Detection," in Proc. Interspeech, 2016.
- H. Liao, G. Pundak, O. Siohan, M. Carroll, N. Coccaro, Q. Jiang, T. N. Sainath, A. Senior, F. Beaufays and M. Bacchiani, "Large Vocabulary Automatic Speech Recognition for Children," in Proc. Interspeech 2015.
- I. Chung, T. N. Sainath, B. Ramabhadran, M. Picheny, J. Gunnels, V. Austel, U. Chaudhari and B. Kingsbury, "Parallel Deep Neural Network Training for Big Data on Blue Gene/Q," in Proc. of the International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis, November 2014.
- T. N. Sainath, I. Chung, B. Ramabhadran, M. Picheny, J. Gunnels, B. Kingsbury, G. Saon, V. Austel and U. Chaudhari, "Parallel Deep Neural Network Training for LVCSR using Blue Gene/Q," in Proc. Interspeech, September 2014.
- T. N. Sainath, B. Kingsbury, A. Mohamed, G. Dahl, G. Saon, H. Soltau, T. Beran, A. Aravkin and B. Ramabhadran, "Improvements to Deep Convolutional Neural Networks for LVCSR," in Proc. ASRU, December 2013.
- J. Cui, X. Cui, B. Ramabhadran, J. Kim, B.
Kingsbury, J. Mamou, L. Mangu, M. Picheny, T. N.
Sainath, A. Sethy, "Developing Speech Recognition Systems for Corpus Indexing Under the IARPA Babel Program," in Proc. ICASSP, May 2013.
- G. Hinton, L. Deng, D. Yu, G. Dahl, A.Mohamed, N. Jaitly,
A. Senior, V. Vanhoucke, P. Nguyen, T. N. Sainath, and B. Kingsbury, "Deep Neural Networks for Acoustic Modeling in Speech Recognition," in IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 29, November 2012.
- T. N. Sainath, B. Ramabhadran, D. Nahamoo, D. Kanevsky, D. Van Compernolle, K. Demuynck, J. F. Gemmeke, J. R. Bellegarda, S. Sundaram, "Exemplar-Based Processing for Speech Recognition," in IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 29, November 2012.
- D. Kanevsky, D. Nahamoo, T. N. Sainath and B. Ramabhadran, "Convergence of Line Search A-Function Methods," in Proc. Interspeech, August 2011.
- D. Kanevsky, D. Nahamoo, T. N. Sainath, B. Ramabhadran and P. A. Olsen, "A-Functions: A Generalization of Extended Baum-Welch Transformations to Convex Optimization," in Proc. ICASSP, May 2011.
- S. Teller, M. Walter, M. Antone, A. Correa, R. Davis, L. Fletcher, E. Frazzoli, J. Glass, J. How, A. Huange, J. Jeon, S. Karaman, B. Luders, N. Roy and T. N. Sainath, "A Voice-Commandable Robitic Forklift Working Alongside Humans in Minimally-Prepared Outdoor Environments," in Proc. ICRA, Anchorage, Alaska, May 2010.