Train & Transit Attacks, Crashes & Scares

Title: Penn Station Evacuated After Bomb Threat
Date: July 25, 2005
New York Times 

Abstract: A man who falsely claimed to have a bomb in his bag prompted the authorities to evacuate Pennsylvania Station for more than an hour yesterday, causing delays for travelers across the Northeast and punctuating a tiresome week of increased security in New York City's subway stations.

During a dispute with an Amtrak ticket agent, the man, whom the police identified as Raul Claudio, 43, of the Bronx, placed a bag on a ticket counter and said a bomb was inside, the police said. The threat was unsubstantiated, but caused personnel including National Guardsmen in military fatigues to clear the station just after noon.

"When we were in line, he said he had a bomb in the bag," said a woman who had accompanied Mr. Claudio to the station who would identify herself only as Milagros, 46. She said that Mr. Claudio, who was pulling a suitcase on wheels, had become upset when the ticket agent could not retrieve his reservation.

Mr. Claudio has had repeated run-ins with the law, including convictions for at least two drug offenses, according to Barbara Thompson, a spokeswoman for the Manhattan district attorney's office. He was at Penn Station intending to travel to a drug treatment program near Albany, his lawyer and three acquaintances said.

The city's bomb squad determined that there was no bomb in the bag, but Mr. Claudio was arrested and charged with two felonies: making a terroristic threat and falsely reporting an incident, the authorities said. Each count carries a maximum sentence of up to seven years in prison. He was held in $15,000 bail.

At his arraignment at Manhattan criminal court last night, Mr. Claudio was described by the prosecution as having a criminal history that dates back to 1979. His court-appointed lawyer, Joshua A. Benjamin, said his client, whom he described as addicted to crack cocaine, had "a colorful past."

"Mr. Claudio is a not a terrorist, not even almost a terrorist," Mr. Benjamin said, adding that only in a post-9/11 climate would Mr. Claudio's comment result in his arrest.

After the threat, officers shouted for people to evacuate, sending hundreds of luggage-toting travelers outside into the noon sun, but the commotion was met with more indifference than alarm. People clung to the periphery of Penn Station, hardly bothered by the reports of a bomb threat. For many, it was just another day in a new world of heightened vigilance.

The station was reopened at 1:24 p.m., delaying Amtrak trains between New York and Philadelphia from six minutes to slightly more than an hour, a spokeswoman said. Spokesmen for the Long Island Rail Road and New Jersey Transit said service to and from Pennsylvania Station was halted for about an hour. Eight New Jersey Transit trains were affected.

It was unclear how many travelers were affected by the delays, but the threat happened during a light travel period, said Dan Stessel, the New Jersey Transit spokesman.

"If it occurred on a weekday rush hour, the impact would have been much greater," he said.

New Jersey Transit passengers whose trains were stopped because of the evacuation were offered a free transfer at Newark to PATH trains bound for Manhattan, he said.

Though the incident yesterday proved to be only a scare, it gave many people pause. "It doesn't make you feel safe when there is a possibility that you could be blown up," said Joseph Davide, 22, as he waited at the Massapequa station of the Long Island Rail Road amid announcements that train service had been stopped. "But you can't stop taking the train, either" (New York Times, 2005).

Title: Argentine Train Slams Into Station, Killing 49
February 22, 2012
Fox News

Officials say a packed train has slammed into the end of the line in Buenos Aires' busy Once station, killing 49 people and injuring hundreds of morning commuters. It is Argentina's worst train accident in decades.

Federal Police Commissioner Nestor Rodriguez says Wednesday's dead include 48 adults and one child.

It's Argentina's highest death toll from a train accident since 1970, when 200 were killed in a train collision.

"There are people still trapped, people alive, and there may have been fatalities. We don't know if there are dead people" in the wreckage, J.P. Schiavi told reporters at the station.

The commuter train came in too fast and hit the barrier at the end of the platform at about 12 mph, smashing the front of the engine and crunching the leading cars behind it, Schiavi said. One car penetrated nearly 20 feet into the next, he said.

Most damaged was the first car, where passengers make space for bicycles. Survivors told the TeleNoticias channel that many people were injured in a jumble of metal and glass.

Passengers said windows exploded as the tops of train cars separated from their floors. The trains are usually packed with people standing between the seats, and many were thrown into each other and to the floor by the force of the hard stop.

Many people suffered bruises, and many with lesser injuries were waiting for attention on the Once station's platforms as helicopters and more than a dozen ambulances took the most seriously injured to nearby hospitals (Fox News, 2012).

Title: Official Says 3 Killed In Canadian Train Derailment
February 26, 2012
Fox News

A Canadian Via Rail passenger train derailed west of Toronto Sunday, killing three railroad employees and injuring dozens of passengers, officials said.

Via Rail spokeswoman Michelle Lamarche said the three people killed were all railroad employees who were riding in the locomotive at the front of the train when it derailed in Burlington, Ontario.

Lamarche said no passengers died but 45 were injured. She said 75 people were on board the train traveling from Niagara Falls to Toronto when it derailed Sunday afternoon near Aldershot station.

Three passengers were airlifted to hospitals, one with a heart attack, another with a broken leg and the third with a back injury. Forty-two other passengers suffered less-serious injuries and were either treated at the scene or sent to local hospitals.

The locomotive and one passenger car flipped onto their sides and crashed into a small trackside building. At least two passengers car behind it were driven off the tracks into a L-shape. All six cars derailed, Via officials said.

"There's no question it's very tragic. We're a relatively small company, we're a family, we know everyone by name," Via chief operating officer John Marginson said at the scene.

"We certainly feel for the families of the colleagues that we lost."

Deanna Villela of Welland, Ontario, said she felt a slight bump before the train jumped off the tracks, sending people and luggage flying.

The crash lasted about 10 seconds but felt like forever, she said.

Burlington Mayor Rick Goldring also confirmed that three died. Goldring said the crash caused minor damage to nearby buildings.

Police haven't released any details about the accident.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada is sending a crew of investigators to the scene. Lamarche said they will examine the date recorder on board (Fox News, 2012).

One Dead And 125 Injured In Amsterdam Train Crash
April 21, 2012

One woman has died and dozens remain hospitalized following the two-train head-on collision on Saturday. More than a hundred people were injured in the crash.

Earlier, a spokeswoman for Dutch Railways said the injuries mainly consist of broken bones and bruises. The trains collided between the Dutch capital's main station Amsterdam Central and Amsterdam Sloterdijk.

National Police Corps spokesman Ed Kraszewski told local reporters that some 70 people had minor injuries and some 44 were "seriously or very seriously injured." He said the victims sustained broken bones and neck injuries.

It was not immediately clear how the two trains ended up traveling toward one another on the same track. Kraszewski said the cause of the crash would be investigated.

Fleets of ambulances carried the injured away from the scene.

Local news channel AT5 reports that the location of the crash complicates emergency personnel access to the site. All trains west of the capital have been suspended. This also includes the very popular Schipol Airport express (RT, 2012).

Title: Package With Human Remains Found On Train Tracks In Virginia
Date: September 19, 2012
Fox News

Abstract: Officials say a package containing human remains has been found on VRE train tracks near Burke, Va.

Virginia Railway Express officials say the remains were found on tracks on Manassas Park. The area was shut down and four VRE trains were stopped.

Buses were brought to transport train riders. VRE said delays of two hours were possible and urged some riders on stopped trains to have someone pick them up (Fox News, 2012).

Title: Italian Train Crash Leaves One Dead, 25 Injured
Date: September 25, 2012

Abstract: One person has been killed and 25 others injured after a high-speed train hit a truck on a railroad crossing in Southern Italy. The accident occurred when the lorry tried to cross the track, just as the safety barrier was closing.

The driver of the stuck vehicle managed to abandon it before the Silverarrow train from Rome to Lecce hit the truck. The collision derailed the train and forced it onto the local highway in Italy's Puglia region. 

Ten passengers were taken to the hospital and 15 others were treated for minor injuries on site, with the train’s driver being the only fatality. 

An Investigation at the crash site has so far determined that the early warning alarm system, signaling a train's approach, was working properly.

The inquiry believes that the driver of the tractor-trailer “committed a grave, imprudent act,” Brindisi Prosecutor Marco Dinapoli told reporters.

A 26 year old truck driver has been arrested on charges of suspected manslaughter. 

"What is striking is that the lorry driver was primarily concerned about his own safety rather than caring about the passengers of the high-speed train," Dinapoli said."He could have broken through the (second) safety barrier, which would have activated a device that would have stopped the train" (RT, 2012).

Title: At Least 20 Injured When Big Rig Hits Amtrak Train In California
Date: October 1, 2012
Fox News

Abstract:  At least 20 passengers suffered minor to moderate injuries Monday when a big rig truck collided with a southbound Amtrak train in California's Central Valley, authorities said.

The crash occurred when the driver of the big rig that was carrying cotton trash failed to yield and hit the train, pushing at least one passenger car off the tracks south of Hanford, authorities said.

The injuries were described as bumps, bruises, scrapes and possibly broken bones by Kings County Assistant Sheriff Dave Putnam.

The crash occurred at a crossing that was equipped with control gates, Putnam said.

Six of the injured passengers were taken to Adventist Medical Center in Hanford, said hospital spokeswoman Christine Pickering. She did not provide details on the extent of their injuries.

"We did call in additional physicians and staff," Pickering said.

The train carrying about 169 passengers and four crew members was on its way from Oakland to Bakersfield, according to Amtrak. It had four rail cars and a locomotive.

The truck driver suffered minor injuries, according to California Highway Patrol spokesman Jerry Pierce. The CHP will investigate the crash.

"This is a big, huge chaotic scene with lots of agencies involved," Pierce said.

Pierce said the other passengers have been taken to an auditorium in Hanford, where they will board a train and continue to their destinations or family members will pick them up (Fox News, 2012)

Title: Derailed Train: Crews Repairing The Tracks
Date: October 2, 2012

Abstract: Railroad crews are working throughout the night and morning making repairs to the tracks near Hanford.

While tractors and other heavy equipment tore apart the tracks in need of repairs, enormous cranes, with several that could hold a capacity weight of some 300 tons attempted to lift the derailed Amtrak passenger cars off the tracks.

At the request of the National Transportation Safety Board, members of the California Highway Patrol reconstructed the accident.

The CHP will head up the investigation.

As of Monday night, Amtrak officials said at least until 7 a.m. Tuesday no trains will travel on that stretch of railway.

Passengers will be bussed from Oakland to Bakersfield and Sacramento to Bakersfield until the tracks are repaired (KMPH News, 2012)

Title: 3 People Injured After Commuter Train Hits Semi-Truck In Los Angeles County
Date: October 7, 2012
Fox News

Abstract: Authorities say a commuter train carrying more than 200 passengers struck a semi that was stalled on the tracks in northern Los Angeles County, leaving three people with minor injuries.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's department says the crash involving a Metrolink train and the truck hauling automobiles occurred about 9:30 p.m. Saturday in Newhall near Santa Clarita.

Sheriff's spokesman Lt. Bill Weiss says the semi driver was able to get out of the truck before the crash.

The department says three of the train's 220 passengers had minor injuries and were treated at a hospital. No one else was hurt.

Weiss wasn't sure how fast the train was going, but says the truck was heavily damaged and the train remained at the scene.

The rail line provided buses for the passengers to continue their journeys.

A diesel spill from the semi was being cleaned up (Fox News, 2012).

Title: Train Trouble Delays Yankees' Return To New York
Date: October 9, 2012
USA Today

Abstract: Train travel was a way of life for major-league baseball teams until the advent of the jet airplane. The New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles found out in the wee hours of Wednesday morning that the old-fashioned way might seem romantic but isn't always necessarily a lot of fun.

The Yankees and Orioles both had their train trips between Baltimore and New York aborted because of electrical problems on the tracks. That made for a long night of travel following Game 2 of the American League Division Series.

Baltimore's 3-2 win over the Yankees at Oriole Park at Camden Yards did not end until 11:58 ET because of a one-hour, 10-minute rain delay at the start. Thus, it was well after midnight before the teams boarded their trains for what should have been a relative short trip to New York, where the series resumes at 7:37 p.m. ET on Wednesday night with Game 3.

The Yankees train got stuck in Aberdeen, Md. They eventually took buses at 3:30 a.m. to New York and arrived back Yankee Stadium at around 6 a.m.

"I thought our guys made the best of it," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said in a conference call with reporters. "They laughed and even took some pictures. It's just something we had to deal with. In a lot of ways, it was like getting back home from a West Coast trip."

The Orioles had an even longer night. They also wound up taking a bus to New York and did not arrive at their midtown Manhattan motel until nearly 9 a.m.

Not surprisingly, both teams cancelled their scheduled off-day workouts Tuesday afternoon at Yankee Stadium.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter still sounded a little groggy when he spoke with reporters on a conference call at 5 p.m. and concluded it by saying, "good night, it's night-night time (USA Today, 2012).

Title: Evacuations Ordered After Train Derailment, HazMat Alert Issued
October 29, 2012
Fox 19

A train derailment in far southwestern Jefferson County has led to a chemical release, a hazmat declaration, closed a major roadway, and an evacuation of a one-mile radius of the derailment site.
Reports of the derailment near the Ohio Valley Dragway on Katherine Station Road came in to MetroSafe at 6:27 a.m. There were also reports of a strong chemical odor in the air. Emergency crews have confirmed that one of the cars is leaking butadiene, a flammable, colorless gas with a mild aromatic odor.

Butadiene is a highly explosive material that cannot be contained with water. Crews used a blanket of foam on the spill in an effort to keep the fumes down.

Other chemicals aboard the train include hydrochloride, sodium hydroxide, calcium carbide, and methyl isobutyl ketone. None of them was believed to be leaking.

Pleasure Ridge Park firefighters declared the derailment a Level 3 HazMat situation. It is the highest alert level for a hazardous materials incident.

Richard Harrison, assistant chief of the Buechel Fire District said the Paducah & Louisville Railway train consisted of 39 cars and that eight of them derailed. Harrison said the car carrying butadiene was upside down.

The derailed tanker car has a capacity of 30,000 gallons. Officials did not immediately know how much butadiene it was carrying. Harrison said monitors will be set up to check the air for explosive levels.

A train derailment in far southwestern Jefferson County has led to a chemical release, a hazmat declaration, closed a major roadway, and an evacuation of a one-mile radius of the derailment site.

Reports of the derailment near the Ohio Valley Dragway on Katherine Station Road came in to MetroSafe at 6:27 a.m. There were also reports of a strong chemical odor in the air. Emergency crews have confirmed that one of the cars is leaking butadiene, a flammable, colorless gas with a mild aromatic odor.

Butadiene is a highly explosive material that cannot be contained with water. Crews used a blanket of foam on the spill in an effort to keep the fumes down.

Other chemicals aboard the train include hydrochloride, sodium hydroxide, calcium carbide, and methyl isobutyl ketone. None of them was believed to be leaking.

Pleasure Ridge Park firefighters declared the derailment a Level 3 HazMat situation. It is the highest alert level for a hazardous materials incident.

Richard Harrison, assistant chief of the Buechel Fire District said the Paducah & Louisville Railway train consisted of 39 cars and that eight of them derailed. Harrison said the car carrying butadiene was upside down.

The derailed tanker car has a capacity of 30,000 gallons. Officials did not immediately know how much butadiene it was carrying. Harrison said monitors will be set up to check the air for explosive levels (Fox 19, 2012).

Title: U.S. Sailor Found Dead At Train Station In Japan
October 30, 2012

A U.S. Navy sailor has been found dead with a head injury at a Japanese train station, local police said Monday.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Samuel Lewis Stiles was discovered surrounded by seven or eight alcoholic drink cans on the platform in Haiki Station in Nagasaki Prefecture at 5 a.m. Sunday, Haiki police said.

The death, which police say they are investigating as either an accident or a crime, comes at a delicate time for the U.S. military in Japan after two U.S. sailors were arrested earlier this month on accusations they raped a local woman.

That case provoked an angry reaction from Japanese officials, and the U.S. military responded by imposing a curfew on its troops in Japan. The curfew restricted military personnel to bases, personal homes or hotels between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.

The time at which Stiles's body was found suggests he may have been out in breach of this curfew.

He was wearing civilian clothes, not uniform, and didn't have any personal belonging around him, police said. Stiles was stationed at the U.S. base in Sasebo, the city in Nagasaki where Haiki Station is situated (CNN, 2012).

Title: Man Hit By Union Pacific Train In W. Bountiful
November 1, 2012
Fox 13

A man was hit by a Union Pacific train Thursday morning.

It happened in West Bountiful at approximately 6 a.m. at the railroad crossing at 640 West and 400 North.

Police have identified the man as 20-year-old Brayden Johnson, of Bountiful.

Police said Johnson wandered onto the tracks and was clipped by the train. Police are investigating whether alcohol may have been a factor.

“We had a report of an individual out in the roadway staggering around,” said Chief Todd Hixson, West Bountiful Police Department. “A short while later, we received information that a person had been hit on the railroad tracks.”

Chief Hixson said the initial call came in at approximately 4 a.m.

Johnson was conscious when he was transported by ambulance to the hospital. The severity of his injuries is not clear.

West Bountiful Police said the Johnson was very lucky the train was moving at a slow speed.

FrontRunner trains were delayed during the morning commute (Fox 13, 2012).

Title: 25 Dead, Almost 100 Injured In Myanmar Train Blast, Fire
November 10, 2012
Fox News

Authorities said Saturday that casualties from a fiery train accident had reached 25 dead and almost 100 injured. The report raised the number of injured after a carriage full of fuel burst into flames.

State television had said Friday that 64 people were injured in an explosion and fire after dozens of people rushed to skim fuel from a derailed tanker train's overturned carriages.

An official from the Myanma Railways department said Saturday that engineers are trying to clear the track to resume rail service after Friday morning's accident near Kantbalu, about 800 kilometers (500 miles) north of Yangon. He also said the injury toll had increased to 93.

The train was travelling from Yangon to the Kachin state capital of Myitkyina. The official refused to give his name because he was not authorized to speak to the press (Fox News, 2012).

Title: Metrorail Employee Killed By Train
November 13, 2012

A Metrorail employee was killed on the tracks after he was stuck by a train while on the job.

After an investigation that lasted nearly all day Monday, the Miami-Dade Police Department has concluded that the man died after a Metrorail train struck him at the Earlington Heights Station. However, police have more questions. "We don't know at the moment what the reason was that led to that, but he expired at the scene," said Miami-Dade Police Detective Aida Fina-Milian.

The Metrorail station was closed for most of the day after the employee, who was not identified, somehow died on the train tracks, Monday morning. It remains unclear why the man, who police said was in his 40s, was working on the tracks, which were in use at the time.

Miami-Dade Transit spokesperson Karla Damian offered a brief statement at the scene: "Unfortunately, we had an incident where a transit employee was struck and killed by a train."

Police had arrived at the Metrorail station in Northwest Miami-Dade at around 9 in the morning. It was shut down to trains until just before 3 p.m. as police continued to investigate. Transit officials had to use buses to shuttle people back and forth.

Commuters were left in the dark as to why trains could not continue past Earlington Heights Station almost all day long. "They just told us here that something happened at this station," said a man.

Officials have not said what work the deceased man was doing when he the train struck him (WSVN, 2012)

Title: Train Plows Into School Bus In Egypt, 50 Killed
November 17, 2012

Fifty people, mostly children, were killed when a train slammed into a school bus as it crossed the tracks at a rail crossing south of Cairo on Saturday, further inflaming public anger at Egypt's shoddy transport network.

Witnesses said barriers at the crossing were open when the train hit the bus. Transport Minister Mohamed Rashad and the head of the railways authority resigned, and President Mohamed Mursi said those responsible would be held to account.

The bus was broken in half by the force of the crash. Blood was spattered on the front of the engine and school bags and text books, some bloodstained, were strewn around.

All but two of the dead were children, aged around four to eight, said a senior security official in Assiut, near the crash site. One woman and the bus driver also died, he said.

Egypt's roads and railways have a poor safety record and Egyptians have long complained that successive governments have failed to enforce even basic safeguards, leading to a string of deadly crashes.

Prime Minister Hisham Kandil travelled to the area to review the situation. But devastated and angry people in one village from where the children had been picked up to travel to school said they would bar entry to any visiting officials.

"We won't accept any officials in the village. They only want to come to appear in the media," said Alaa Ahmed from al-Hawatka, where some children killed on the bus came from. They were travelling to a school near Manfalut, about 300 km (190 miles) south of Cairo.

Some victims' families protested at the crash site. Many other Egyptians across the nation were also shocked and angered.

"It is so shameful and a big disgrace to this government. All of its members, and not only one minister, should quit. That is what I know would happen in any decent country," said Mona Ahmed, a 60-year-old mother of three, in Cairo.

Barriers Open
State media reported that as well as 50 dead, 15 or more people were injured. A medical source said as many as 28 were injured, 27 of them children.

"They told us the barriers were open when the bus crossed the tracks and the train collided with it," said Mohamed Samir, a doctor at Assiut hospital where the injured were taken, citing witness accounts.

Assiut Governor Yahya Keshk also said the crossing was open. "The crossing worker was asleep. He has been detained," he told state television.

The doctor said the bodies of many of those killed were severely mutilated, illustrating the force of the crash.

"I saw the train collide with the bus and push it about 1 km (half a mile) along the track," said Ahmed Youssef, a driver.

Officials said the level of destruction and mutilation made it difficult to count and identify the bodies.

Mursi ordered his ministers to offer support to the families of those killed, the official news agency said.

Egypt's worst train disaster was in 2002 when a fire ripped through seven carriages of an overcrowded passenger train, killing at least 360 people.

At that time, when Mursi was an opposition member of parliament for his Muslim Brotherhood group, he accused the then prime minister and officials of "gross negligence".

Many more have been killed in rail accidents since then despite pledges from successive governments to improve safety.

Earlier this month, at least three Egyptians were killed and more than 30 injured in a train crash in Fayoum, another city south of Cairo. In July, 15 people were injured in Giza, close to the capital, when a train derailed.

Reflecting frustration at the state of public transport, Cairo metro workers went on strike this week complaining about poor levels of safety and maintenance.

Accidents involving multiple deaths are also common on Egypt's poor quality roads. A crash on Cairo's outskirts on Saturday involving a minibus killed at least 11 people, security sources said (Reuters, 2012).

Title: 2 Killed In Thailand Train Ambush On Day Of Obama Visit
November 18, 2012
Fox News

Suspected insurgents have detonated an improvised bomb that derailed a train and killed two railway guards in Thailand's south, hours before President Barack Obama visits the country.

The Sunday attack in Rue So district of Narathiwat province disrupted train services in the three violence-plagued southernmost provinces.

Police Col. Dulyaman Yaena said an unknown number of insurgents exchanged gunfire with other railway guards before fleeing.

Two railway guards died from wounds caused by the explosion while 15 others were hospitalized.

More than 5,000 people have been killed since an Islamist insurgency erupted in the region in 2004.

The incident was the second attack on the weekend Obama arrives in Thailand. He will also visit Myanmar and Cambodia. In the other incident, one person was killed when a motorcycle bomb exploded (Fox News, 2012).

Title: Penn Station Reopens After Switch Problem
November 21, 2012
NY Post

The switch problem that led to a complete service shutdown at Penn Station on the busiest travel night of the year has been resolved, Long Island Rail Road said.

The station — which was shut down due to overcrowding Wednesday — was later reopened.

Amtrak, NJ Transit and Long Island Rail Road were all still down for about an hour.

At one point, thousands of people packed the streets outside the station.

Many of the stranded travelers included people leaving town for the holiday, lugging suitcases.

“Its the busiest travel day and they can’t get their s—t together!” fumed Ashley Smith, 28, a New Jersey bound Queens woman.

Twenty-five year old Anh Le was so desperate she contemplated calling a car service from Manhattan to New Jersey.

“It’s frustrating,” she said.

Officials said the problem stems from a power outage that effected Amtrak’s switches (NY Post, 2012).

Title: Report: Train Slams Into Vehicle In Southern Italy, Killing 6
November 24, 2012

Six people died after a train slammed into a vehicle early Saturday evening in southern Italy, the nation's official news agency reported, citing investigative and other sources.

Photos taken in Rossano showed the Fiat Multipla impaled against the front of the train -- mangled and largely unrecognizable -- as firefighters walked along the track.

A rescuer described the scene as "appalling," according to the official ANSA news agency.

The crash occurred around 5:15 p.m. (11:15 a.m. ET) near Rossano, which is about 300 kilometers (185 miles) southeast of Naples and 280 kilometers northeast of Reggio Calabria.

The Fiat was struck and dragged 600 meters before it and the train finally came to a stop, ANSA reported.

All those killed had been inside the vehicle, with ANSA citing reports that at least some of them were Romanian migrant workers who had been picking clementine oranges in the region.

The area near the crash scene has been cordoned off, as the investigation continues to determine what happened (CNN, 2012).

Title: 3 People Crushed To Death Inside Train Car In Alabama
March 5, 2013
Fox News

Abstract: A large crane brought to the CSX Rail Yard in Mobile had to lift more than 20 steel beams to recover three people who were crushed to death inside a train car.

A fourth suffered serious injuries and a fifth was not harmed in the early morning accident.

Mobile Police said they were transients who had been sleeping inside the open top car.

When CSX employees began to move the car, heavy steel I-beams shifted inside, crushing the men. reports that that the two survivors will face trespassing charges for sleeping in the rail car (Fox News, 2013).