Pennsylvania Terror Attacks

Title: 9/11: United Airlines Flight 93
September 11, 2001

United Airlines Flight 93 was a passenger flight which was hijacked by four al-Qaeda terrorists on September 11, 2001, as part of the September 11 attacks. It crashed into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania, during an attempt by some of the passengers to regain control, killing all 44 people aboard including the 4 hijackers. No one on the ground was injured. The aircraft involved, a Boeing 757–22, was flying United Airlines' daily scheduled morning domestic flight from Newark International Airport in Newark, New Jersey, to San Francisco International Airport in San Mateo County, California.

The hijackers breached the aircraft's cockpit and overpowered the flight crew approximately 46 minutes after takeoff. Ziad Jarrah, a trained pilot, then took control of the aircraft and diverted it back toward the east coast of the United States in the direction of Washington, D.C. The hijackers' specific target is believed to have been the United States Capitol.

After the hijackers took control of the plane, several passengers and flight attendants were able to make telephone calls and learn that attacks had already been made by other hijacked airlines on the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon outside Washington, D.C. Some of the passengers then attempted to regain control of the aircraft. During the attempt, however, the plane crashed into a reclaimed strip mine in Stonycreek Township, near Shanksville in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, about 65 miles (105 km) southeast of Pittsburgh and 130 miles (210 km) northwest of Washington, D.C. A few witnessed the impact from the ground and news agencies began reporting the event within an hour.

Subsequent analysis of the flight recorders recovered from the crash site revealed how the actions taken by the passengers prevented the aircraft from reaching the hijackers' intended target. Of the four aircraft hijacked on September 11 – the others were American Airlines Flight 11, American Airlines Flight 77 and United Airlines Flight 175 – United Airlines Flight 93 was the only one that failed to reach its hijackers' intended target.

A temporary memorial has stood on the site since the attacks; the first phase of construction of the permanent Flight 93 National Memorial at the crash site was dedicated on September 10, 2011 (Wikipedia, 2012).

Title: Pittsburgh Psychiatric Hospital Shooting Toll: 2 Dead
March 8, 2012
ABC News

A gunman opened fire at a Pittsburgh psychiatric clinic, leaving to two people dead, including the gunman, and injuring seven others.

The gunman died while exchanging fire with police, although it was unknown whether he shot himself.

In the aftermath of the shootings at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, the facility remained an active scene as police were "methodically going through the building" to make sure sure every floor and room was secure.

Around 1:40 p.m., an unidentified shooter entered the clinic armed with two guns.

He proceeded to open fire on the first floor, wounding five staff members, according to Western Psychiatric's CEO, Claudia Roth. All of the wounded are expected to survive.

Gregory Brant, 53, told the Associated Press he was in a waiting room on the first floor when the shooter entered.

"We heard a bunch of yelling, some shooting, people yelling,`Hide! Hide!" he said. "Everyone's yelling, `Stay down!"'

The wounded were taken to the neighboring University of Pittsburgh Medical Center for treatment. Two had been released, while at least one person required immediate surgery, officials said at an evening press conference.

One of the wounded was a University of Pittsburgh police officer who was grazed in the leg.

Jeffrey Romoff, CEO of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, praised the "work, professionalism and prompt response" of first responders.

"[We are] deeply, deeply saddened by today's events," he said. "I want to express our deepest sympathies to the victims."

Immediately after the shooting, SWAT teams from Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, the Port Authority and state police rushed to the scene, bringing along bomb-sniffing dogs.

The 289 patients in the hospital will not be evacuated, Roth said, and care will continue as normal.

Several nearby buildings were on lockdown, including the elementary school at Carlow University, Central Catholic and the Pittsburgh Science and Technology Academy.

The University of Pittsburgh, which is currently on spring break, issued a safety alert to remaining students and staff.

"An active shooter has been identified at Western Psychiatric Institute. Several injured; possible second actor in Western Psych. Lock-down recommended until further notice. If safe to do so, tell others of this message," the school wrote (ABC News, 2012).

Title: Five Arrested, Accused Of Terrorizing Jewish Camp In Pennsylvania
July 26, 2012

Three adults and two juveniles were arrested Wednesday for allegedly terrorizing a Jewish camp in Pennsylvania.

Authorities say Tyler Cole Spencer, 18, Mark Trail, 21, Cassandra Robertson, 18, and two juveniles intimidated Jewish campers and staff at Camp Bonim on three separate occasions on July 14 and 15.

Spencer allegedly drove a white Ford pickup truck "recklessly" through the camp, "narrowly missing several campers and staff" and damaging fields, yards, buildings and fences, the police criminal complaint said.

The group also allegedly used paintball guns to shoot Jewish campers and staff, hitting one 18-year-old camper leaving a synagogue, according to the complaint.

Authorities allege members of the group also shouted anti-Semitic slurs at campers and staff, such as "I'm gonna kill you, you f***ing Jews."

"Go back to where the f*** you came from you god**** Jews. We don't want you here," Trail allegedly shouted, according to the complaint.

Several campers told police they "were scared for their lives" when the pickup truck sped through the camp, the complaint said.

"The vicious, cruel and obscene nature of the language hurled at the campers is unspeakable," Wayne County, Pennsylvania, District Attorney Janine Edwards said in a statement. "Luckily none of the children suffered any serious physical injury; however, the emotional damage done is immeasurable. This is outrageous conduct and will not be tolerated."

Spencer, Trail and Robertson have been charged with several felonies and misdemeanors, including ethnic intimidation, terroristic threats, recklessly endangering another person and institutional vandalism.

Spencer, of Linden, Tennessee, was charged previously with aggravated assault in a hit-and-run case. He allegedly hit a camp counselor with his pickup truck before fleeing on July 16.

Spencer's bail has been set at $200,000. Bail for Trail and Robertson, who are from Wayne County, has been set at $20,000 each.

Juvenile petitions were also filed against the two alleged accomplices, a 17-year-old and a 16-year-old.

It is unclear if the defendants are represented at this time, and listed numbers to the defendants' families could not be found (CNN, 2012).

Title: Scottish Terrorist And Two Hackers Charged University Of Pittsburgh Bomb Threats
August 15, 2012
ABC News

A man with ties to a Scottish terrorist group is accused of sending email bomb threats more than 50 times to the University of Pittsburgh this spring.

Scottish National Liberation Army member Adam Stuart Busby, 64, is accused of sending the email threats to the university, along with multiple bomb threats to western Pennsylvania courthouses, and specific threats of violence to U.S. attorney David Hickton, according to the FBI.

He is in custody in Dublin, Ireland, on charges relating to bomb threats and hoaxes throughout Great Britain, the FBI announced today.

Two men from Ohio who have claimed membership in the hacking group Anonymous were also charged in connection with the threats for their role in threatening to release personal information from the Pittsburgh college's computer system.

The university was evacuated more than 130 times during the spring semester because of the threats.

Today, Hickton announced that federal law enforcement authorities working on he case had begun to suspect Busby's involvement as early as April, but the investigation took months to bring charges because of international subpoenas to Internet service providers.

A warrant for Busby's arrest will be lodged with Interpol, Hickton said.

Alexander Waterland, of Loveland, Ohio, and Brett Hudson, of Hillsboro, Ohio, were also charged in indictments released today stemming from emails they sent to the university in May about the bomb threats. The two men, identified as members of the hacking group Anonymous, are charged with targeting the computer the university's computer system and releasing personal data.

The two men were identified after they sent emails to the university's administrators promising to end the bomb threats if the university withdrew a monetary reward they had begun offering for information relating to the threats.

Hickton said today that authorities do not know why Busby targeted the University of Pittsburgh, saying that he had no ostensible connection to the school or community.

He was convicted in Dublin in 2010 of sending email threats from a public library to British airline officials at Heathrow claiming bombs were on two flights to New York, according to the Guardian.

Busby has been convicted of previous attacks and hoaxes throughout Great Britain (ABC News, 2012).