Date: October 24, 2012
Source: Fox News
Abstract: Algerian terrorist Ahmed Ressam was sentenced Wednesday to 37 years in prison for plotting to bomb Los Angeles International Airport around the turn of the new millennium.
Ressam was arrested in December 1999 as he drove off a ferry from Canada into Washington state with a trunk full of explosives. U.S. District Judge John C. Coughenour had twice ordered him to serve 22-year terms, but both times the sentences were reversed on appeal.
Ressam's attorneys had conceded that he should face at least three decades to satisfy the appeals courts, but no more than 34 years.
The Justice Department had sought life in prison because of the mass murder he intended to inflict, and because he recanted his cooperation with federal investigators.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Ausa Helen Brunner argued Ressam continues to pose a threat, as evidenced by his recantation of prior cooperation.
Ressam's lawyer, Thomas Hillier, disagreed, pointing to a letter Ressam sent the judge this week in which he wrote: "I am against killing innocent people of any gender, color or religion. I apologize for my actions."
Ressam, who made a similar statement to the court in 2003, did not speak at the hearing Wednesday.
Coughenour said Wednesday that this "this case provokes our greatest fears."
The judge said the sentence reflected more than the 35 years maximum for the two most serious counts Ressam was convicted of, and he discredited the government's argument that Ressam would pose a future threat. He will be eligible for release at about age 64.
The sentence also took into account Coughenour's belief that Ressam stopped cooperating because of the effect of extended solitary confinement. His recantation was a "deranged protest," rather than a true return to terrorist sympathies, Coughenour said.
The judge said that if the harsh conditions of his confinement were in fact what caused Ressam to stop cooperating, that shouldn't compound the sentence.
"I will not sentence a man to 50 lashes and then 50 more for getting blood on the whip," he said.
An alert customs official in Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula noticed that Ressam appeared suspicious when he drove from a ferry from British Columbia on Dec. 16, 1999, and signaled him to stop for further inspection. His arrest, after a brief foot chase, prompted fears of a terrorist attack and the cancellation of Seattle's New Year's Eve fireworks.
Ressam's case has been vexing because he started cooperating after he was convicted and was interviewed more than 70 times by terror investigators from the U.S., Canada, Great Britain, Spain, Italy, Germany and France. Information he provided helped convict several terror suspects; prompt the famous August 2001 FBI memo titled "Bin Laden determined to strike in U.S.;" and contribute to the arrest of suspected Osama bin Laden lieutenant Abu Zubaydah, who remains in custody without charges at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
However, Ressam subsequently recanted all of his cooperation when it became clear that the prosecutors weren't going to recommend that he serve less than 27 years in prison. The recanting forced the Department of Justice to drop charges against two suspected co-conspirators, Samir Ait Mohamed and Abu Doha.
In previously sentencing Ressam, Coughenour noted that before he went to trial, the government offered him a 25-year sentence if he would plead guilty — no cooperation necessary. Ressam refused, but Coughenour said that any discount for Ressam's cooperation, while it lasted, should start from that 25-year offer.The appeals court rejected that rationale (Fox News, 2012).
Toronto War Memorial Defaced In ‘Hate Crime’
Date: November 12, 2012
Source: Toronto Sun
Abstract: Toronto Police are calling the vandalism of a west-end war memorial “a hate crime.”
A woman walking Sunday night by the sculpture in Coronation Park — at the foot of Strachan Ave. and Lakeshore Blvd. W. — called police after noticing someone had taken a black marker and written “Canada will burn; Praise Allah” on the memorial.
“This is an identifiable group,” Det. Anthony Williams told reporters at the scene Monday. “The veterans should be respected. That’s a total disrespect for our sworn members and military members who have made the ultimate sacrifice.”
At the Remembrance Day ceremony at Old City Hall Sunday morning, anti-war protesters were heard chanting during the two minutes of silence.
Williams said he couldn’t speculate whether the vandalism was protest-related.
“I can’t speculate as to what their motivation is, but if they did this on Nov. 10 or 11 … someone is looking for an opportunity to draw attention to themselves,” he said.
City cleaners scrubbed the black letters off the memorial.
George Murphy, 72, whose father fought in the Battle of Monte Cassino and in Normandy during the Second World War, teared up looking at the monument.
“I think it’s terrible to see them destroy what these veterans have done for us,” he said. “It’s like stepping on them. These people wanted to protect our lives. My father would be very upset over this.”
John McEwen, 67, who built the memorial in 1995, said the monument symbolizes the range of languages in Canada and recognizes the 50th anniversary of the Second World War and the military contributions of Canadians.
“Do I take it personally? No, and I don’t think the veterans should take it personally,” he said. “Stupidity isn’t even politics. Stupidity is ignorance and ignorance is an indulgence in a place where you don’t know what’s going on.
“If you had any political agenda you were trying to serve, it’s just wasted.”
Mayor Rob Ford said he was sickened by the news of the war memorial being defaced.
“It really, really bothers me,” Ford said at City Hall on Monday.
“For someone to stoop to that level … people have sacrificed their lives for us to be here. It makes me absolutely sick.”
Mischief and vandalism charges could be likely, Williams said, but there “are provisions for higher penalties when they are designated as a hate crime.”
Officers were also investigating a sign at a lifeguard’s post near the memorial, which had “Holy Jihad” written in black marker, to determine if there was any connection with the vandalism found on the memorial (Toronto Sun, 2012).