History of trulli Restoration of an Apulian trullo
Trulli are stone houses which for time immemorial have been built in the heart of Apulia. The name trullo (pl. trulli) comes from ancient Greek "tholos", which denotes a building with a conic roof.
A Mycenean tholos tomb near Pylos
Trulli are most common in the Messapian areas of Apulia. The Messapians, together with the Veneti, Japigians, Daunians, and Latin belonged to the first Indo-European wave of colonization of the Italian peninsula, which until then (circa 1200 B.C.) was mostly inhabited by Thyrrenians.
A reconstrution of a Messapian hut, in dry stone masonry, with clay plaster and a thatched roof (pagghiare)
Trulli were ideal structures in the Apulian landscape, because they could be entirely built with the abundant local stone and manual labor.
A trullo with furno roof
An abandoned trullo with a single round room and furno roof. The concentric platforms were originally plastered, or insulated from water with rammed earth or turf.
A typical Apulian trullo