There is a process in place to start a Merit Badge.
The Scout must contact the Scoutmaster to discuss the Merit Badge
- This will insure that it is an appropriate Merit Badge at this time
- Assure that they Scout has a manageable workload with other Merit Badges
- The Scoutmaster will recommend a Merit Badge counselor to balance the workload of the counselors
The Scout must recruit at least one other Scout to start the Merit Badge with.
- The Scoutmaster may have others that are interested in the Merit Badge
- This helps to ensure proper ratios for adult to Scout and no one-on-one contact. The exception to one-on-one contact would be at public locations where others are, i.e. Scoutmaster at the Library, Before or after a meeting.
Once this is done the Scoutmaster will issue a "Blue Card" to track the Scout's Merit Badge progress.