Status Updates‎ > ‎

Aug 24 ---7 hours 15 min into surgery

posted Aug 24, 2010, 12:38 PM by Sean Molby   [ updated Aug 24, 2010, 12:49 PM ]

Sorry it has taken a little longer for this update. It took a while for them to really get started. They did not end up getting all of his IVs in until about 9:45 am so it took about an hour and a half longer than they thought it would. They ended up with only one arterial and two central lines instead of the other way around. Then they had to start the incision, clear out the scar tissue, and then break through the breast bone.

 

They then began the 1st stage of his surgery which is undoing his Hybrid procedure. They have also started and finished up with the 2nd stage (Norwood) of the procedure- for this they had to lower his body temperature to 18 degrees Celcius while starting him on the by pass machine- he has so far done wonderfully and has remained steady throughout everything. He is a little over half done.

 

They are in the process of completing the 3rd stage (Glenn) and then they will begin to wean him off the by pass machine and he will begin his recovery in the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit). The next 24 – 48 hours are severely critical for Tristan. Sometimes when they are put on by pass they are not able to recover and they go into cardiac arrest- some are able to pull through and some are not.

 

 I have to believe Tristan is one that is strong enough to fight his way back to us. He left my arms with a smile and a look of comfort in his eyes, he did the same thing the first time around as if to say, “hey mom I love you, it is all right, I am going to be just fine”. He is such a little trooper and I can’t wait to see him and give a kiss.

 

Probably will not be able to update again till later tonight.

K I am going to update my update- the nurse just came in Tristan is done with his repairs they are now weaning him off of the by pass heart/lung machine, this is a very gradual process and will probably take another 30 minutes or so. The dr will then decide if he will go ahead and close Tristan up or leave him open to compensate for swelling and then sew him up in a few days- Tristan is doing good and responding appropriately and it sounds like the doctor is leaning towards going ahead and sewing him up today but again it will all depend on how Tristan resposed when he is completely off the by pss.
  

Thanks again for all the prayers and PLEASE keep em coming!!!

 
 
ALSO SEAN HAS FINALLY ADDED A FEEDBACK PAGE SO ANYONE CAN POST A COMMENT OR QUESTION RIGHT ON THE WEBSITE! We will do our best to keep checking back. Love you all ~Christy  
Comments