In 2017, Tring Wargames Club hopes to run a mix of Demo and Participation games at several local shows. This will be a bit of an adventure for most of us, as we have plenty of experience with demo games, but rather less with participation games. However, a couple of our members have hosted participation games for Lance and Longbow for many years, so we have plenty of advice at hand.
Confirmed Bookings and Games
Arnhem Bridge 18th Sept 1944 – Frost vs Graebner
This will be a participation game based on the first German assault on the north end of Arnhem Bridge on the morning of 18th Sept 1944, after its initial capture the afternoon before by British paratroops, during the opening phase of Operation Market-Garden.
It will feature the forces of Hauptsturmführer Viktor Gräbner’s 9th Reconnaissance Battalion of the 9th SS Panzer (Hohenstaufen) Division, and Lt. Col. John Frost's 2nd Battalion of the Parachute Regiment.
We will be running the Arnhem game on :
- Sunday March 5th 2017 at the Overlord show, in Abingdon.
A Viking Raid on an Irish Village
This was a game that we first ran a few years ago, and was popular enough that we have decided to give it another airing. Although last time we ran this as a demo, we had people coming up and literally demanding to be allowed to play, so this time we will be running it as a participation game.
We will be running the Vikings and Villagers game on :
- Sunday 28th May 2017 at the Vanquish show, in Bourne End, Bucks.
We will add more information here as our show bookings are confirmed, so check back here later for details.
Other Shows for 2017
We hope to also attend the following shows in 2017 - see our Wargames Shows
page for more details of these and other shows:-
- Saturday 6th / Sunday 7th May 2017 at the Campaign show, in Milton Keynes. We hope to offer an American Civil War skirmish participation game using 54mm figures.
- Saturday 21st October 2017 at Gamesfest in Tring. This is a small local event with a heavily fantasy-oriented theme, which we attended for the first time last year. We hope to run a Napoleonic skirmish game, using Osprey's Chosen Men rules.
- Saturday 18th / Sunday 19th November 2017 at the Warfare show, in Reading. Since Warfare is a two-day show, we usually try to offer two different games - currently TBD.
You will notice that we have not included Colours at Newbury for 2017. Since this is realistically well outside our catchment area, the club has decided that it would be more sensible to put the effort into our local shows, at Vanquish and GamesFest.