Boxcar Selfie Tournament-July 2019
July 1-31, 2019
Finals: August 7, 2019, 7-10 PM
Boxcar Bar + Arcade
330 W. Davie Street, Raleigh, NC
Qualifying: Once registered, players may use the website to submit "selfies" of their best scores on 3 out of 4 selected machines:
- Monster Bash Remake
- Pirates of the Caribbean
Selfies may be uploaded at any time during the month of June. Selfies must show the score clearly, but do NOT have to include the player's face. No additional points will be awarded for face shots.
Players will be awarded points for their scoring per machine: 100 points for the best score on a machine, 90 points for 2nd, 85 points for 3rd, 84 for 4th, 83 for 5th, etc. Players will then be ranked based on total number of points they earn for their highest 3 games (Highest possible score: 300) If you don’t submit a score for a particular game, you get 0 points for that game.
Current standings will be updated on the tournament website throughout the month. At the end of the month, any player who has submitted at least one score will be invited to play in the July Finals, which will take place on Wednesday, August 7, from 7-10 PM.
Finals Format: Players will be seeded based on where they finished in the selfie qualifying round. Top seeds may receive a bye in the first round depending on the total number of entrants (ie. For 24 players, Top 8 will receive a first round bye, and Seeds 9-24 will play head to head). Seeding ties will be broken by coin flip. The only exception to this is if there is a first round Bye at stake. This will be decided by a one game playoff.
9 vs. 24, 8 vs. 23, etc in the first round. Highest seed gets choice of game or position. Loser of the first game gets game or position choice for the second game. Players will play in a Best of Three games, with the winner advancing to the next round Winner's Bracket, and the loser going to the Loser's bracket to play another Best of Three. Players do not have to wait for an entire round to finish if both opponents have completed a previous round and are ready to play.
Play continues until the Winner of the Winner's Bracket faces the Winner of the Loser's bracket in another Best of Three. The Winner of the Loser's bracket must beat the Winner's bracket player in Two Best of Threes to win the tournament.
Prizes will be awarded to the top players. This event is sanctioned by the International Flipper Pinball Association, and all participants must contribute $1 for participation. All Finals participants will be awarded World Pinball Player Ranking points!
- Players may not pick a machine more than twice throughout the competition, and may not choose the same machine in the same round. If all machines are chosen twice by a player throughout the competition, then this rule resets, and the player may choose any machine once again.
- The player's opponent in a round may pick the same machine that the player chose in the same round if he so chooses, but the same rule applies that he may not pick it twice in the same round, or more than twice for the entirety of the competition.
- No coaching of a player currently playing a machine. Coaching is allowed before and after a ball being played, but not during.
- Game malfunctions should be reported to the tournament director at the earliest convenience. (If the tournament director is currently playing, please wait for a ruling). In the event of an End of Ball because of a time out, an additional ball will be awarded to the player.
- Death saves and bangbacks will not be permitted. On some games, the ball may drain down the right outlane at a high enough speed that the ball can pop back into play. This is allowed so long as the machine is not physically maneuvered to facilitate this circumstance (death save).
- Do not take advantage of a stuck ball during a multiball. The opponent of the player has the right to shout "Stuck ball" in this instance. This is the only instance that the opponent may communicate with a player during their turn. Players may then call over the TD for a ruling.