The Software working group was formed during our community meeting on 4/26/2010. The vision for the group is to:
- Build software that facilitates transition activities through on-line / off-line collaboration and information sharing
- Use open source technology to bring in like minded developers and extend the software to support needed functionality
- Implement first version for TransitionSF and iterate several versions in 2010
- Create documentation and help for other transition initiatives that want to use the software
- Support all working groups and neighborhood groups and their needs
The plan/roadmap for this year is being worked through. Some of the highlights are:
- We have decided to use drupal http://groups.drupal.org/transition-towns
- We are aiming to release Version 1 in approximately 4 months. This will not have all the features we need, but will be the starting point for community collaboration.
- We'll need help with Branding and Visual Design (if you have these skills and would like to volunteer, please let us know)
- Andre and David will work through the staffing plan this week.
The workspace for the group is here: http://www.transitiondrupal.org/ You can also post your comments there or in our Software forum.
Here are the Version 1 features that were drafted:
To provide feature ideas for future releases and other suggestions, please do so through the forum:
If you have a drupal account, you can also provide comments on the features directly on the site: http://www.transitiondrupal.org/node/4
We need an information Architect and Visual Designer.
If you can help us, please email ania @ transitionsf . org