- For practical, local economic solutions we're implementing, please see our list of Recession Relief projects
- List of time banks and LETSystems in the greater Los Angeles area. Each one has a calendar of monthly gatherings.
- local sharing arrangements and other Los Angeles area economic resources which can grow economic resilience through the Long Emergency
- A local currency for Los Angeles? There is action toward starting an L.A. equivalent to Switzerland's WIR network. For more info, contact
- BALLE (Business Alliance for Local Living Economies) has an L.A. chapter called L.A. Green Business Network. Although they operate separately from Transition groups in L.A., the BALLE network is working on some of the right ideas.
- Transition Enterprises - What might a social enterprise founded on Transition principles be like?
In nature, headlong growth and all-out competition are features of
immature ecosystems, [These are] followed by complex interdependency,
symbiosis, cooperation, and the cycling of resources.
- "Prosperity without Growth? The Transition to a Sustainable Economy" by Tim Jackson, Sustainable Development Commission (UK) Executive Summary & Report (pdf) and book
- "The clearest message from the
financial crisis of 2008 is that our current model of economic success
is fundamentally flawed. For the advanced economies of the Western
world, prosperity without growth is no longer a utopian dream, it is a
financial and ecological necessity."
- The Bridge at the End of the World, by James
Gustave Speth, Dean of the School of Forestry and Environmental Sutides
at Yale University and environmental advisor to two U.S. presidents
- develop alternatives to existing
policies, [and] keep them alive and available until the politically
impossible becomes politically inevitable.
- "Shifting Direction: From Global Dependence to Local Interdependence," by Helena Norberg-Hodge, found in The Case Against the Global Economy, Jerry Mander, ed. Also available as a single article through ISEC.
- "It is precisely because there are
so many people that we must abandon the globalized economic model,
which can only feed, house, and clothe a small minority. It is becoming
essential to support knowledge systems and economic models that are
based on an intimate understanding of diverse regions and their unique
climates, soils, and resources."
- Genuine Progress Indicator
- The Sharing Solution, by Janelle Orsi and Emily Doskow
- Small is Beautiful, by E.M. Schumacher (we recommend the 25th anniversary edition)
As you reorient your career, or as you consider alternative directions for your small business, we want you to succeed. At events of Transition Los Angeles, we offer straight talk about the state of the economy and where it is likely to head in the next few years. Our understanding of where the economy is headed and WHY are derived from materials such as the following:
"Those 'green shoots of recovery'? Those would be gangrene!"
- "Making Sense of the Financial Crisis in the Era of Peak Oil" Nicole Foss (aka Stoneleigh)
"The scale of denial is breathtaking." --Jerry Mander"Understandably, everyone wants it to get “back to normal.” But here’s a disturbing thought: What if that is not possible? What if the goalposts have been moved, the rules rewritten, the game changed?" -- Richard Heinberg
- "Barking Up the Wrong Tree" by Jerry Mander found on page 9 of this pdf